• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

waynerville

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, i have been keeping salt for 4 years now and about a month ago i got my 1st coral lights for my 55g tank - i was so proud becase i had built the canopy and stuff and my dream was finally coming to life. afer about 3 week of having the lights disaster struck and the pump broke. one thing led to another and my mom made me get rid of it - i thought my fish tanking days were over but i was wrong my LFS got in the JBJ 12g nano cube and i had to have it - so i got it and set it up and now i have a crushed coral substrate and 12lbs of live rock - it has been running for about a week now. i was told that it could hold only mushrooms and maybe some polyps but i have been checkin this site out and it seems they are capable of holding the higher up corals also. so i was wondering the truth about the true potential of the stock JBJ nano cube. and i know i am asking a lot but i was wondering if maybe you guys could look over my livestock list and see if the 12g is capable of holding this (i am not used to such small tanks)

LIVESTOCK:
-a mated pair of clown gobies, Citrinis
-1 red sea mimic blenny (are would the yellow tail fang blenny be a better choice)
-(optional) 1 Filamented Flaser wrasse
-a colored cluster duster
-1 scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp
-either a Porcelain crab or a sally light foot - which would be better
-3-5 asraea snails
-1 bumble bee snail
-1 narssarius snail
-1 cerith snail
-1 fighting conch
-1 dwarf blue leg hermit crab
-dwarf zebra hermit crab
-dwarf red tip hermit crab
-and 1 orange sea star
- then the advised corals

i know i listed a lot of cleaner snails and shrimp but i am not sure how fast the alge grows in this tank or how many it will take to clean - i would appreciate any advice, thanks

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rdo_welcome.gif

Welcome to Reefs.org!

If it were me, I'd turn this:
-a mated pair of clown gobies, Citrinis
-1 red sea mimic blenny (are would the yellow tail fang blenny be a better choice)
-(optional) 1 Filamented Flaser wrasse
Into this:
One of either:
-a clown goby
-a red sea mimic blenny
-a filamented flasher wrasse
And then drop the crabs (except maybe the red) and the star..

Just my opinion though.. - Good luck with it, post us some pics when you get her up and running!

Norm

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with GD on this one, with the gobies being the best choice and the blenny being the least suitable. Even a flasher will be a bit cramped in a 12 gallon.

The shrimp will work fine.

Yes on the porcelain, no on the sally lightfoot. It will catch and kill any small fish when it gets bigger.

Seems like you want a lot of snails and hermits. My advice is to stock slowly, one at a time, and only as the aquarium demands it.

As for the sea star, do your research on the exact species. Some are coral predators, some need hundreds of pounds of live rock to feed on.

As for corals, the stock bulb is only good for low light stuff--zoanthids, mushrooms, green star polyps, etc. You can always upgrade your lighting though.

waynerville

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for the help with the fish i think i am going to go with just the mated pair of clown gobies - i realize that i listed a lot of crabs and snails and i was definetly planning on narrowing it down to a few of those i was just wondering which kind and how many are needed usually to help keep the nano cube clean - the only ones that i really would like to add would be the blue leg dwarf and the zebra dwarf hermit crab the others dont really matter to me - so would like a torch coral be suitable for the standard nano cube and if not will upgrades on the lid require actually building new parts for it or just like getting new lights?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish are covered so im gonna touch a little on the inverts..Ive heard of cases where Porcelain anemone crabs dont survive long periods without a host, be it an anemone or corals resembling that of an anemones protection, such as colony polyps or xenia...Scarlet cleaner would be a good choice or a peppermint..I dont think you wanna go with any sea stars in your tank, unless they are what are refered to as "micro" stars...most stars will easily out grow a 12gal...your choice of snails are good..nassarius will be beneficial for sand stirring...cerith and astrea or turbo are good for general algea consumption..if going with hermits..the dwarf zebra are a good choice, but better yet, a couple of scarlet reef hermits...bright red and very peaceful...There are a couple members on here that have modified successfully the JBJ..Hwarang is a member that has done this perhaps getting in contact with him on the matter (sorry Hwarang :D)..Be patient and have fun..

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need a new hood. You can retrofit the existing one with more lights. I found it easier to just yank the whole thing off and throw a pendant on top of the tank though.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: