• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I've got the pair of ocellaris in my 10g nano, and was thinking of adding a chalk bass.

Any experience with this fish? Too many fish for the tank? What do y'all think?

Thanks in advance.

Peace,

Chip

A

Anonymous

I think it's doable, but I wouldn't do it in a tank with SPS in it just b/c of the bioload. I think they would all get along though.

Juck

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of smallish percs and a Skilletfish in my 12g,,, it was a temporary thing like 6 months ago but hey, I've been busy. It's worked out fine so far.

Juck

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aye,,a skilletfish or clingfish,,,, Gobiesox sp. (possibly Gobiesox Strumosus),,, here's the little fella,, one of the funnest fish I've ever had,, it's like having a 2 inch Wobbegong,, it's mouth is the entire width of it's head and it eats like a Shark:

Attachments

• ac1.jpg
    ac1.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 947
  • ac2.jpg
    ac2.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 947
  • ac3.jpg
    ac3.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 947
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Learn something new everyday....where the heck didja get that thing?

Juck

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At my LFS back in May,, they had a tankful,,,never seen one before or since. I'm not one for impulse buys but after seeing it eat, I had to have one. Definitely got my $8.99's worth :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's simply awesome...like a saltwater plecostomus or something...

Peace,

Chip

fishfanatic2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That thing is SICK!!!! 8O :D :D :D I WANT ONE!!!!!!! :wink:

Seriously though, how big do they get, (I guess not very big for a nano), are they reef safe, compatibility, what do they eat? :?:

Juck

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The max size is less than 3" as far as I can figure,, not much info out there on these things,,,, I think mine is fullly grown at just over 2.5"

They are reef-safe. They are carnivores,,, mine will eat almost any kind of Marine flesh. I feed it once every 4 or 5 days by putting a thawed shrimp/clam/squid/whatever in a plastic clip on the glass and it rips it to shreds,,, takes a couple of days for it to eat a 3 inch shrimp.

He was briefly in my 75 reef with all manner of snails, starfish, cukes, cleaner shrimps, etc etc and I only ever saw him eat pods off the glass. Mind you,,, I dunno what would happen if I forgot to feed him for a couple of weeks.

I was worried about putting it in a tank with smaller fishes,, I'm pretty sure this thing could bite a clown goby clean in half. I've only witnessed one incident in the 12g, when a perc tried to take some shrimp from the clip,,, the skilletfish grabbed the perc and chomped on him a bit,,, but the perc was fine and doesn't care for shrimp anymore.

They are also the easiest fish in the world to catch,,,,, just put some food in the clip and it will not leave it,,, even when you put the net over him he doesn't make a run for it.

Skilletfish have been bred in captivity but I don't think they will ever be commercially bred for the hobby,,, they're not much to look at, and they pretty much just stick on the glass until you feed them,, but I like 'em.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Juck, do you mind if I use one of your pics and description of this fish in the sticky thread about Nano Reef Fish? I'll give you credit!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, snowflakes don't hurt if they bite you when small, give it a try. They have pebble shaped teeth, not sharp ones. I used to let one around 12" long latch onto my finger all the time. It feels like a clothespin. As they get bigger of course, they can start crushing skin/bone/etc.

Juck

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol,, ok,, I just fed him a bit of silverside soaked in selcon and he zoomed out of the rocks to take from my fingers as soon as he could smell it.

This is my first Eel,, I haven't quite decided what to do with him once he gets too big for the 12g,, he's probably destined for my 90g ,, there are a couple of firefish in there but nothing else that could fit in his cakehole.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: