• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Fozza

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever had any experience with Peppermint shrimp eatting Ricordia Mushrooms?

I have a nice green ricordia with a blue mouthpiece thats just being torn to pieces by the little gits.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, are you positive these are peppermints (Lysmata wurdemanni), and not camelbacks?

Apparently sometimes pepps do go after mushrooms and zoanthids. I've never had this problem, but others have. Only suggestion I have is to remove one or the other. Another thing you could try is separating the ricordia with a strawberry basket, and feeding your shrimp more. I would bet if they were fed more they wouldn't go after corals.

Fozza

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've removed the Ricordia to the 10gal. I'll probably set up my small 2.5gal tank specifically for the mushroom, hope it spreads a little and then trade it in at the store.

Yep, these are definately peppermints, they are in the tank cause I have a few aiptasia and want them to eat them. So feeding them would beat this objective.

Just glad the gits aren't snacking on my Green Star Polyps, I'd be extremely annoyed with them then.

Fozza

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved the Ricordia to my 2.5gal and have tried my hand at propogating for the first time. Cut him into 4 pieces. Now I sit back and see if they make it.

smickied

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pepermint problem (Im sure it was a pep) in my 28gal it ate my teal schrooms and tormented my feather dusters and a lont tentical plate to death . (He was well feed too...beter than me!) a $5.99 shrimp cost me over $100 in damages.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peps seem to be hit or miss...At times they can be good aiptasia control and others i hear they are more destructive than contrustive...Ive been keeping peps for almost two years and have never had a problem with them..actually i think thats the reason i have no aiptasia..I moved a piece of LR from my main tank to my 5.5gal mantis tank and a few days in, i noticed aiptasia..in the last few months they have spread, but im not to concerned since that is my mantis tank and not too "reefy"...That piece of LR was in my Main tank for nearly two years..the point is that these little red and white striped b@stards can be trial and error....

gusmcab

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a pepp in my 2.5 and he doesn't bother anything except for some paly(sp), he picks on them and extract whatever I just feed them

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: