• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

...Lighting does one need to keep the hardier, lower-light requiring SPS corals?

Ive kept LPS under purely PC lighting at about 4.5 watts per gallon, but I dont dare try that with SPS...

My question would sit better with my situtation, I presume; Im trying to hammer out the details of my new 10gal. nano project, and Im exploring my options with the limited resources I have (working in a body/paint shop at minimum wage sucks... :().
If I was to use a two 40-Watt PC bulb setup, at 8 Watts per gallon, and considering the tiny depth of the tank, would that light suffice for some of the lower-light SPS varieties? Granted, I would try and use lower Kelvin temperature bulbs to accomodate the SPS's spectrum tastes, should it prove doable...
Ive read this, and heard another, and Ive sat and wondered the in-between, so I just thought Id ask...

Thanks in advance anyway, even if its beating me back in line!

A

Anonymous

http://www.esuweb.com/cardfile.asp?ItemNumber=54210&IDProductRelationship=34

096316542105.jpg

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
ITEM # 54210
UPC # 0 9631654210 5
Dimensions: 2" x 2" x 9"

Mini-Compact Fluorescent Lamps are designed to be used where space is limited and powerful lighting is desired. Fits into standard, medium-base lamp sockets.

ColorMax is ideal for freshwater aquariums
50/50 is perfect for freshwater and saltwater aquariums- 50% 10,000K Daylight, 50% Actinic 03 Blue
Low operating temperature
6,000 hour life

I have not yet found an online vendor for this product. Maybe someone could help us out.

These lights should be good for most softies in a 10 gallon. :D

A

Anonymous

My LFS carries that bulb. I think it would be inadequate for any SPS corals unless they were right underneath it. If you'd really like to do SPS corals Dew I think you're best off with either 2x65 W or 96 W PC.

A

Anonymous

Man, THAT much light Matt? 80 Watts wouldnt suffice for the lower-light end of the spectrum for SPS?

And how would I even cram those 65 Watt bulbs on there?! Man, I really wish I had the cash to go Halide....

Hmmph...

A

Anonymous

It's not watts, or watts/gallon. It's PAR that's important. I don't see why those things can't be retrofitted somehow.

A

Anonymous

seamaiden":280uwme7 said:
It's not watts, or watts/gallon. It's PAR that's important. I don't see why those things can't be retrofitted somehow.

:lol: I dont have anything to retrofit! Thats the problem! :wink:

I KNOW its Watts per gallon; look at my original post! :lol:

Are you using golf terminology, or am I not catching on to another clever acronym? :?

A

Anonymous

Matt_Wandell":7btj1noy said:
My LFS carries that bulb. I think it would be inadequate for any SPS corals unless they were right underneath it. If you'd really like to do SPS corals Dew I think you're best off with either 2x65 W or 96 W PC.

:oops:
lower-light requiring SPS corals

Note to self, read everything before posting anything. :D

A

Anonymous

alfbennett":3je4htef said:
Matt_Wandell":3je4htef said:

:oops:
lower-light requiring SPS corals

Note to self, read everything before posting anything. :D

Yeah, I was a little puzzled after I read that AGAIN! :lol: No worries alfy; Im the only one on this board who has NO room to make any mistakes!

marinesport

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey alfbennett and everyone else. i was really surprised to see that little bulb at meijer the other day i think it was only like $10. i was looking fo a tankscraper and noticed the light and also red sea salt. did not expect to see saltwater stuff at meijer.

dan

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meijer, for those who don't know, is a midwest competitor of Walmarts. - They're privately owned, based out of Grand Rapids, Michigan, have been around longer and generally have a larger selection than Wallyworld.

From what I've seen, Wallyworlds in the midwest blow goats when it comes to their fish live & dry selection. (Except in the deli area, they do "alright" there..)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to request these lights for my softie tank. They are super cheap, and keep my little stock happy, but They prolly will not work for SPS, unless they can come out with 60W mini-compacts, then maybe a pair might barely cut it.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dew,
I think you'll be happier in the long run with the lights I mentioned, or even an MH fixture, if you want to keep SPS corals. You can probably get away with 30W bulbs if you want, but you'll get brown, slow growing corals as a result. I have a MH fixture that I made, DIY style, that only adds up to $150 I think, bulb ballast reflector etc.

And watts/gallon is sort of a hard way to look at it...imagine if Hwarang's nano suddenly had a 100 gallon refugium added to it--that wouldn't change the intensity of light over his corals, right?
More important, as SM pointed out, is PAR, and also total intensity.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the "it's not WPG, it's intensity" police have eclipsed the tang police ...

When dealing with PC lighting, WPG is a good rule of thumb, but of course it's not an accurate relay of necessity ...

hillbilly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Matt. Unless you're fond of brown colored acros, start looking for the best deal on MH. I've never seen PC's that could hold sps color very long at any wattage or k, and I'm a oldtimer. I've heard a handful of people have done it, but from my experience, I'd have to see it to believe it. PC lighting is only a fraction of the intensity of a MH setup, which sps seem to thrive on.

FWIW, AquariumLights.com has good buys on basic MH, as does Hellolights.com Just my 2cents. :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have an LFS that got pretty good color out of SPS using mostly actinic T5 lighting (3 actinics, 1 daylight). - I think they were at least 36" bulbs though, kinda borderline for being a nano I guess.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
save your cash and go halide. Pick up a used SE 175 or a 150w. You know you'll buy one as soon as you have the money anyhow.

Also, check around and see if you can find any CSL pc's cheap. They're on clearance most places. Cram a 96w 50/50 over your tank and you'll be okay as long as the sps aren't on the bottom of the tank.

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certain species will hold their color better than others as well too. Acropora yongei ("Green Bali Slimer") and Pink Pocillopora damicornis stay colorful under PCs. Apparently Montipora capricornis does very well also.

Hwarang,
Maybe I'm being nitpicky but I really don't feel it's a useful measure. You would agree that a 10W bulb over a 1 gallon tank is not the same as a 100W bulb over a 10 gallon tank right? ;)

johns120

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On 10/24 I set up a 20 long using the Orbit 2x65 pc fixture. I hope to house lps,sps, clams and may or may not need to add additional lighting. I was a little disappointed at how wide the fixture is over my 20. Not much room to add a mh pendant if needed.

johns120

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On 10/24 I set up a 20 long using the Orbit 2x65 pc fixture. I hope to house lps,sps, clams and may or may not need to add additional lighting. I was a little disappointed at how wide the fixture is over my 20. Not much room to add a mh pendant if needed.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hwarang,
Maybe I'm being nitpicky but I really don't feel it's a useful measure. You would agree that a 10W bulb over a 1 gallon tank is not the same as a 100W bulb over a 10 gallon tank right? icon_wink.gif

Sure sure. I don't think it's the best but I do think it's useful in lieu of a better system.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: