• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Nano lighting!

Sound familiar? :wink:

Anyway, I bought a 10gal. AGA tank on a whim, and because there was this purty tower of them stacked neatly in my LFS... Ive been contemplating throwing together a nano for the s#*ts and giggles of it, and this seemed to be so archetypally fool-proof, I just had to start up the whole get-yer-nose-in-to-the-catalogs-and-etailers shopping routine! :)

But heres the point, after much adue: what the heck is the deal with lighting fixtures?! Theyre freaking expensive, even for the little 20" setups!
I am speaking, of course, of PC lighting. The cheapest fixture Ive found is about $65 for just one 40-Watt bulb and all the related regalia. Granted, thats not a bad deal, but I feel thats not enough light for my impending needs. So the same fixture, except with another 40-Watt bulb, is something like $125!!! I KNOW that makes mathematical sense people, dont take me the wrong way, but it doesnt make nikels'n'dimes-off-the-shelf-sell-it-or-bust sense; in other words, it doesnt make much economic sense, to me at least. For something that small, and at whatever the costs of materials, I still dont know how businesses manage to move these things...

There, that was my rant...

Anywho, anyone know of a good place to go for cheap lighting? Alternatively, anyone want to sell an old fixture or retrofit setup to a bum like me?

Oh, and Id like to send a shout-out to the nano-cube man, Hwarang! :wink:

A

Anonymous

I use 2 20 Watt 50/50's by coralife. they are about $13 a piece and light my tank well enough for what I keep. If you are ever down this way there is a good shop called Something Fishy in Lodi.

A

Anonymous

Hmmm.... Lodi, eh? How far of a drive is that, do ya think, from Napa?

Perchance, would you happen to know of an etailer that might vend these said goods at your stated price?
And are these arrangments retrofits or fixtures or what?

Thanks for the reply alfy! :wink:

A

Anonymous

They screw into the normal hood thingy. There prolly is a couple of e-tailers that cary them, just gotta look arround. My suggestion is to start with site sponsors ;)

A

Anonymous

Yes, Im still awake! Just this last one! :wink:

You mean they dont have a pin arrangement?! Like they screw in like incandescent bulbs? Weird...

Anyway, tomorows a monkey-business day for me (today, really)...

Nighty-night!

A

Anonymous

Howsit' going, Hwarang!

Awww.... That cube was legendary! I think that cube could be made in to a diety of sorts, it was that much of an archetype! The holy grail of cubes!!!
That sucks; caulerpa ruined its business?! Whad'ya do, not prune or something?! :P :wink:

That 5.5 looks awesome! I love the idea of your fuge>filter media>sump design!

Dude, are you a web-designer of sorts? Thats a pretty nifty site ya got goin' there!

Anyway, good luck with the 5.5, and you wouldnt happen to know about lighting for a 10gal. AGA, would ya?

Gotta jam, Peace!

A

Anonymous

LOL man thanks, but so many people here have reefs that kick mine in the teeth, i'm just a newb.

Dude, are you a web-designer of sorts? Thats a pretty nifty site ya got goin' there!
Yes, actually. Thanks again. :)

You can light a 10 gallon with a 32w PC 5050 bulb pretty easily. I'd probably go with 2 for a total of 64 watts. The good thing about that bulb size is it works for the 5.5g and the 10g... just do some searching on the sites matt linked above and you'll find something cool. i like hellolights, i have ordered from them before.

Got any recent pix of your aquarium?

A

Anonymous

Very nifty Hwarang!

MAN! I just checked out Matts ahsupply.com site, and their prices and products ROCK you socks! I think Im going to have to go custom on this one!

About my aquarium pics... Despite getting a nifty new Sony cybershot f828 since last you heard of me around here, my aquarium's visual appeal has sunken greatley...
It all started with some sort of great extinction. I live in a rental whose backyard is a vineyard; something they were spraying the vineyard with somehow got inside my room (which faces the vineyard accross the lawn) and into my tank. Ive lost three corals, several snails, and Ive had the most horrific green hair and red slime algae blooms ever to be documented... :( Oddly enough, the fish seemed un-phased...

Anyway, I also have been constantly plagued by ammonia and detritus problems from the really crappy, uncured LR I got from liveaquaria.com (newb mistake I made when I was just getting started... :oops:

In short, my aquarium is about as photogenic as a naked trucker... Bleagh...

Im working on it, though, and even though my crappy, modified SuckClone skimmer is what it is, Ive managed to beat back a total take-over with the algae... This new 10gal. will serve as a sattelite for the main tank, and stuff will be interchanged between them accordingly, until I can one day completely phase out the 29 gallon and join the ranks of the truly nano-fied! :D

Oh, and Ive never seen a cube as good as yours anywhere. Nothin could touch that thing! Its an archetype man! :wink:

A

Anonymous

Hwarang..Dude whats up? your tanks keep shrinking..gotta go with the Art Deco .75gal tank..thats a fun project and erganomical too :wink:

Mihai

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like an awesome plan!!! I can't believe you think two years in advance. If I get to two hours I'm good :).

I can't see the pics on your website though... why?

M.

Hwarang":3mo02s8x said:
Whattup DG.

I must renounce my Cube title, for it no longer exists :( ... caulerpa was a bad addition.

I've taken down my SW tanks and am planning this one:

http://www.website-x.com/5gallon.php

:)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: