• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Dual 24w PC's and a fan from what I hear! :D
Glad I waited if this is the case.

Jim

A

Anonymous

did you hear something new? this is something occassionally discussed at nano-reef.com and various ppl have gotten tiny tidbits of info out of the ppl at JBJ ... all signs pointed to late fall of this year.

A

Anonymous

FYI, the new hood will not fit on the old nanocube...according to JBJ. It has different hinges or some shizzle.

i hope it's soon!

SaltyMist

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hwarang":307r6eb6 said:
FYI, the new hood will not fit on the old nanocube...according to JBJ. It has different hinges or some shizzle.

i hope it's soon!

That makes economical sence sort of:

1. Anyone who wants the upgrade will have to buy a whole new unit. BUT

2. Anyone with an old unit wont be able to buy the new hood and hope it fits on the old tank.

I guess when it really hits the store shelves we will find out for sure.

tazdevil

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd imaginge with the fan and additional light (additional balast as to perhaps?) that they'd need to make a tougher hinge. Plus the additional room required for those items.

not to mention the already mentioned economics, I wonder what they'll price it at.

SaltyMist

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really couldnt imagine it going much above say $130.00, because while they are supposedly going to upgrade the lighting and thus introduce a fan, it's still the same 10 gallon (or 12 gallon if you will) tank, so while upgrading the lighting (still too weak for my liking) and adding a fan (been done by the users of the JBJ nanocube), they really havnt done much new.

Now if they included a built in protein skimmer that is efficient, then perhaps they would be able to charge much more and if they fixed the 3 stage filtration to something that works really well, perhaps a true overflow, then they could possibly even go higher.

I think it will be interesting to see what they charge, and what kind of sales they are getting on it (if thats possible to see).

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. At the very least they could build an overflow into it. At best they'd put a CPR skimmer in it. You can expect it to be more than $130... I'd bet money on it. I probably won't be buying it.

SaltyMist

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im pretty sure I wont be buying it either, heck I have two of them laying around here that Im putting in my garage sale in 2 or 3 weeks, I think resale I'll be lucky to get $10.00 for each.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A customer rep from JBJ told me yesterday that the double-bulb Delux version of the 12g nano cube will be shipped to dealers starting next week (end of September). He thought the price point would be around $169. It will have a remote ballast, a directional return, and a few other minor tweaks.

SaltyMist

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a rip off to me. An extra $69.00 for a second bulb, and a directional return? He didnt mention anything about the overflow or a built in skimmer or anything like that did he?

The overflow is lame at best (sorry, but in my opinion it's pretty true), since it allows gunk to buildup on the surface in it's original format. I could only hope that they figured out a way of having it be a true overflow for the salt version of the tank, else I see little reason to buy it.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which is why I opted to pick-up a current version for $99. I was just looking for something to play around with (in addition to my big tanks), and for $99 I can tweak the overflows, pumps, etc. and still keep things reasonably cheap.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm... - I thought I'd heard of some locals here in MI were already picking up the double-bulb version a few weeks ago.

Got a feeling I'll be retro-ing mine out the bung before long. (The heck with dual 24's.. - I want dual 32's along with the stock 24..)

Juck

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's already a dual-bulb version of the Nanocube 12g ,, it's called the Nanocube Deluxe. It's got a remote ballast and 2 fans in the hood,,, otherwise it's the same as the standard Cube.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Juck":28s98vtp said:
There's already a dual-bulb version of the Nanocube 12g ,, it's called the Nanocube Deluxe. It's got a remote ballast and 2 fans in the hood,,, otherwise it's the same as the standard Cube.

This is correct. JBJ is showing this on its webcite. However, their customer service told me that they have not yet shipped this product to its retailers (and the reason for my post above). Of course, I suppose that some may been distributed for promotional reasons in advance of the official product release. I have no idea. But I do know that the retailers around here don't have the "Delux" version as of yet.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While we are at it. Did all of you nanocube owners yank out everything in the filter compartment except for maybe the sponges? The sponges are the only part I can see keeping in their, at least until the tank has established itself. I plan to fill the rest of the area up with live rock rubble.

Juck

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I yanked everything except the first sponge,,, I have 2 powerheads and a bag of carbon back there so not much room for anything else.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I yanked everything except the return pump.

Still need to start the mods for it though.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: