• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

fireman26m

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently running a 55 reef (learning tank) and I'm saving for a 220gal. to make a reef also. The trade-off is my wife wants a nano for the bedroom before I can get my big display. I don't know anything about nanos so here's my question(s):

1. Which is more recommended?
a. JBJ Nano Cube
b. Eclipse 12
c. Make my own setup

2. What mods will I have to do with each to house some softies (shrooms, zoos, rics etc.) as far as lighting goes?

3. Are the mech. filtration systems built into these systems worth keeping or should I just toss the media on start-up? I plan on running a shallow sand bed and stuff it with LR anyways. Can/should I run a skimmer on such a small unit? What about a heater(s)? Is there room in the back for it/them?

Here's her stocking list:

2 Clowns of undertermined species (she's indecisive)
1 Clown Goby also undetermined. We have a green clown goby in the main but she really loves it and my want another.
Cleanup crew combination of astrea, nassarius, cerith, brittle stars and maybe some dwarf hermits.
1 Shrimp either a pep, skunk or blood. This is still optional - she can take em or leave em.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Fireman

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fireman, Welcome to RDO!

Great questions!
1. I think the JBJ nanocube is a bit better if you're planning on keeping corals, simply because of the lighting. It's perfect for what you specifically want to do 'out of the box'. I'd go with c only after a bit of experience with seeing what does and does NOT work.

2. If you get the cube, nothing. The stock lighting is perfectly adequate to house most mushrooms, zoanthids, and Ricordea spp. You can always add more light later if you'd like, and there are plenty of threads in this forum to choose from to show you how.

3. I don't like to use the mechanical filtration (sponges) that comes with the cube, but I do keep the carbon bag. I think most people rely on the live rock and sand as natural filters. You can certainly run a skimmer, but it's definitely not necessary. Again, there are threads here where people show how they have done it. My personal opinion is to save the money and just do more water changes. You definitely can and should fit a heater in the back (unless you live in a very temperate climate). I shoot for a temp of around 80 degrees F.

Stocking list:
Go with Amphiprion ocellaris, or Amphiprion percula, better known as 'Nemo'. :D They stay small, and can spawn in tanks of this size. The majority of other clowns grow far too large to keep in this size tank.

A green clown goby would be a great addition. If you get some green striped mushrooms, it will constantly hide in them. I've attached a picture of mine camouflaged inside of them.

I like skunk cleaners (Lysmata amboinensis) solely because of their looks, but all three of those shrimp would do great in this tank.

I think you're off to a great start, and good luck.

Matt

marked for archiving

Attachments

• clowngoby.jpg
    clowngoby.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 1,544
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a 10 gallon sucsefully with a power filter and carbon as the only synthetic filtration. Most of my filtration comes from a moderate sandbed, and live rock. Nanos don't have to be expensive. However, I did pannic a couple of times when cycling (I screwed up and used a fish based on the recomendations of an antiquated book) It has been a fun experience. My wife still thinks I am crazy for setting in front of it as long as I do each evening.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whoah. i thought that goby was an sps dweller? is the green version naturally prone to hide in shrooms like that? that's sweet.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hwarang...it is an SPS dweller as far as I know, but in the absence of them they'll perch on just about anything. This one (and I assume others would too) somehow *knows* that he blends in well with those particular shrooms. There are red and hairy ones in there too, but he is always nestled in these. Very cute.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Careful Matt; all that cheeryness might put someone's eye out! :lol: :wink: :twisted:

Seriously though, Id been wondering about a couple of those things too.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes me wonder if a yellow one would go in a colony of yellow Parazoanthids....hmmm.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Yellow clown perchase on top of the rocks or mushrooms in plain sight when he feels like it. Most of the time he hides in a hole in one of the rocks.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I successfully keep three nanos the largest being a 20gal and my smallest a .75gal...its been a fun experience for me...Ive heard nothing but great things about the JBJ nanocube..I think with time and some patience any setup will work regardless of experience...Do tons of reading and quetion asking and it will be an awesome experience....

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: