• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

bluetang1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are any of you, using a reactor on your 20g nano? I have recently built a couple and am looking for some feedback from those whom have them on there's. Pros and Cons?
Thanks
Rob

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be hesitant to do it because of the costs. I've definitely considered it, but decided to go with Kalk or 2 part additives instead. Can you post pics/diagrams of your reactors?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damn you people, I swear, damn you. I'm hiding my credit card and pretending I never saw this thread. :D

It looks like a very affordable and nice product. I know Andy (is it Andy?) over at MRC has a great reputation for customer service. I think I'll have to give one of these a go and give it a product review :D :D

skylsdale

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just doing my job to continue draining the wallets of college students across America (I'm hoping to go international soon).

It looks like really good product, and I've heard nothing but great things about Andy. I'm putting in an order for a skimmer and larger reactor setup from him soon--I'll let you know what I think.

ricky1414

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just stumbled across this. Just when I promised my wife that I wouldn't spend anymore of "her" money... :D

bluetang1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a couple of pics of my DIY Reactor. One pic shows it below and the other shows it beside the tank. I currently have the efluent dripping into the intake of the Skimmer.
DSCN1097.JPG

DSCN0127.JPG

DSCN1102.JPG

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bluetang,
Can you post some more pics of your tank? Very nice looking! Is that a pair of royal grammas in there? And do you have an open top?

bluetang1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is an open top. I only have one royal gramma in there. Here is the tank stats.
Hardwear
20g tank
Bakpak skimmer
Coralife 130watt PC lighting
2 - 301 power heads
Calcium reactor (Ocean Aquastics style)
5lb bottle
Sumping the tank in a couple months
Live stock
Branching Hammer coral, GreenOpen Brain, Red Open Brain, Grape coral, Leather coral, GSP's,Trumpet coral,
Moon coral(Brain), Montipora Digita, BTA
Fish
Royal Gramma, Tank Breed Clown, Six Line Wrasse.
DSCN0123.JPG

This pic was taken a couple weeks ago. I have since done some renovating. I will post more when I get my tank cleaned and get a couple good shots.
DSCN0935.JPG

bluetang1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, A small problem happened last night. The Mag pump I am using on my reactor, decided it would start to leak. So after soaking up a gallon or so of water, I'm off to get a new pump.(under waranty of course)
I got the glass cleaned. So here is some Up to date pics taken tonight.
DSCN0217.JPG

DSCN0212.JPG

DSCN0211.JPG

DSCN0213.JPG

JeromeBaker

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been considering getting a Calcium Reactor for my 20 for quite some time but your DIY model looks pretty good. How much for a ready to run unit less the Co2 tank?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it worth having a Ca reactor on a 20? I have a 20 with SPS and LPS, is it worth it?

hillbilly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tanks not crammed full of CA loving corals, then you don't really need it. If you do and getting tired of dosing all time, it can make your life easier, and the tank more stable. You can screw up your alk with a reactor on small tank easily though, one must be careful.

bluetang1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk is one drawback definatly. I am currently having problems with keeping it stable. Right now it is through the roof yet my effluent is only at 7.2PH. I tuned the reactor back even more so we'll see what happens in a couple days.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly my fear..And I do have a tank of Ca loving coral..I think i'll keep dosing for now..that seems to be working ok that way :D

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: