• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

MonKei

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the last few days, I've noticed a lot of really small bubbles coming up from my substrate, often going up with a small peice of sand and then it dropping back when the bubble reaches the top and pops.. and then noticed some air bubbles in my substrate, roughly 2-3 mm in size.. they just started appearing over the last few days.. everything looks to be doing well in the tank, and water tests just fine, so I am not too worried... are these a result of the bacteria in the substrate doing their detoxifying nitrate/nitrite etc to be released into the atmosphere? or is it possibly something that I should worry about? thanks!
-thayer

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are these a result of the bacteria in the substrate doing their detoxifying nitrate/nitrite etc to be released into the atmosphere?

Basically, yes. But I'm not sure about the exact process (what produces what and exactly how).

tazdevil

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate being reduced by anaerobic bacteria to free nitrogen gas is the process, hopefully that's what you've got.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: