• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

AP7x

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I was just wondering how necessary water changes are if I setup a reef system with corals only?

For my case specifically, this would be for a 12g Nanocube.

I am under the impression that water changes are necessary as an export of wastes in the water from feeding fish/corals?

I hear about all those great tanks that have thriving corals that were never spot-fed....

With a coral only system, I was thinking with minimal feedings of phytoplankton and maybe some direct feeding of LPS (minimal = once a week?), I can get away with less water changes? (Currently I do weekly 10-15% changes). Less frequent would be...once a month or so?
Again - this is a Nanocube...no skimmer...no refug...just LR and LS. Carbon, maybe Poly-Filter (is this any good?)

Then again - a few inverts as decorations also might seem fun, like Pom Pom crabs or Sexy Shrimp...I am under the impression they dont need to be fed as much/often as fish? Will they flourish in such a system?

Then with snails...a few added just to clean up any odds and ends?

Sorry with the random ramblings...it was just a thought that came to mind...

THanks =D If I was unclear, Ill try to clarify based on responses.
If I'm speaking nonsense - forgive me. I'm just a student wanting to learn ^^;

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had a coral-only tank, I'd do water changes once a month.

A lot less waste, but it would also depend on how much you spot-feed and how much went into the tank and not the coral itself.

Peace,

Chip

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO you might still do a bi-weekly 10% water change. Not only to export waste, but also to import depletable resources like calcium and trace elements, etc. I don't have any evidence that it would make a difference, but more rather than fewer water changes seem like erring on the side of keeping things clean and stable.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even ammonia is a vital part of the nitrogen cycle. I'd throw at least a tiny fish in that bad body. Just IMO.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: