• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

holry7778

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so may pico has been up and running quite well for the last few months no problems. I wanted to add a coral and have been waiing for something small enough to arrive at the LFS. Well they finally had a small Sun Polp about 2" long. After reading up on them they seem quite durable and easy first corals to try. So I went back to the LFS to pick it up and on my ou t the Door their little pico had the small juvie Tomato Clown I have seen and it was in their pico. I was shocked! I have always wanted to get one and with my 55gal not quiet set up yet, I have had to wait. But this one wasn't even an 1" long. I asked how long they had had him, about 3 days and was health and eating well. So it picked him up and he is swimming happily in my 3/4g azoo/red sea setup.

Now my question is...Am I a horrible person for not waiting and putting him in my 55, but instead torturing the little guy with a 3/4g? Once he out grows the 3/4g, the 55g will be his next home. But I have still have to get the LR in the 55g (no money so no LR, right now). He seems really happy and swims all.

Let me know what you think?

Here are sme picts

Attachments

• father tomauto.jpg
    father tomauto.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 968

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quit beating yourself up and just get that 55g going as soon as you can. As long as you know that this is temporary and you don't intend to keep him there for months.

I've actually got a Yellow Clown Goby, which is just slightly smaller than your clown, in my .5 pico reef. But than again, tomatoes swim around a lot more.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto. I think you're going to have a hell of a time keeping that sun polyp fed without polluting that tank as well.

Good luck.

holry7778

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well as soon as the 55g is up he will be one of the first tenants. Right now I'm doing a 16oz water change every couple of days. I switch water from my 55g and the pico. Each tank should benefit from this. I feed the whole tank around 10:30pm each day just after the lights go out to help stimulate the Sun Polp extension. I plan to reduce the feeding dose by 1/2 after a couple of weeks.

Currently I'm feeding a 5ml mixture of Homegrown Phyto (LFS), Marine snow, and Hikari's Brine & Mysis shirmp. I mix up it up from liquid & frozen every couple of days and keep it in seringes in the fridge. Nice, easy, direct dosing for the coral. Scraps to the rest of the tank.

The clown eats some of the that, plus very small random flake feedings through out the day. This is to teach him to eat from finger feeding.

I turn off the filter during the feed. While waiting I take out the prescreen filter and rinse it so to help knock down the higher bio loads from daily feedings.

I'm hoping this small routine feeding should be enough to keep the tank up and in good shape. f things start to look bad I can put them in the 55g as it is only shy of only cured LR and VHO's, so I have the safety net!

holry7778

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, Now I can say it was bad idea...

I was gone all weekend on a aniversary trip with the Mrs. and came home to a dead fish :cry:

I had tested water qualitys on Wednesday. Things looked normal, except the Nirtites @ .25ppm so I did a 50% water change and then things to great. I feed just before leaving and the little Tomato Clown was looking good. Swimming about and ate two little flakes off my finger tip, too. I looked over the lil' corpse (mostly intact) and noticed no signs of desease. So I'm not quite sure what was wrong. I did a water test to see if anything seemed really out of line. Everything had risen just a tad but nothing Significantly out of line for a small tank with a dead fish in it. So I did a 25% water change and have another one planned for tomorrow. I guess I should have known better than to torture a fine little create like that in a tiny tank. So chaulk another one up to hine sight being 20/20

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

holry7778

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, Now I can say it was bad idea...

I was gone all weekend on a aniversary trip with the Mrs. and came home to a dead fish :cry:

I had tested water qualitys on Wednesday. Things looked normal, except the Nirtites @ .25ppm so I did a 50% water change and then things looked great. I feed just before leaving and the little Tomato Clown was looking good. Swimming about and ate two little flakes off my finger tip, too. I looked over the lil' corpse (mostly intact) and noticed no signs of desease. So I'm not quite sure what was wrong. I did a water test to see if anything seemed really out of line. Everything had risen just a tad but nothing Significantly out of line for a small tank with a dead fish in it. So I did a 25% water change and have another one planned for tomorrow. I guess I should have known better than to torture a fine little creature like that in such a tiny tank. So chaulk another one up to hine sight being 20/20

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

holry7778

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, No outages to point figures at, just me for a bad decision. I'll get the 55 going here soon and maybe I try again with a pair of Tomatos...we'll see.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: