• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Fl_Seagull

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I an a little confused :? .

Is there any aggreement on when you call a tank a Pico VS a Nano?

Is a Pico 5 gal or less and Nanos bigger?

Do you just count the tank not the sump?

I realize this is not the biggest issues out there but I like to get some opinions.

Thanks.

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to set it at pico=less than 2.5 g, nanos is anything above up to 15-20 but you know this is widely open to debate!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say we set a standard for RDO then...i agree with Brandon..2.5 and less a pico 2.6(not really likely any that size) to 20 a nano...should we put this to a vote to set the records straight?

Fozza

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you'd like, I'd agree with the 2.5 or less for pico. But I still say upto 30 for nano.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i take it you have a 29gallon tank..i guess if you really want to get technical most tanks under 75gal are considered a nano compared to most reefs...

Fl_Seagull

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps we need another name.

How about

0-2.5 Pico
2.6- 29 Nano
30- 74 Micro (perhaps this should go to ~300 gal to stay with SI units analogy :lol: )

Of course this I could get carried away :lol: and start using other names:

75 -180 Mini
181-350 Maxi
351+ Mega

Part of my question was just the confusion of names people use .

But, is there differences that makes these distinction meaningful?

I could see that some fish are only should only be housed in a Maxi or above VS a smaller tank.

But, could there also be other factors like cost, equipment noise level or equipment size which makes these distinctions meaningful?

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep FL Seagull, if we could start a standard that is what I would pick. Let's do--someone set a poll with a few variances and we'll take the lingo forward from the end of the poll date and just consider it official. That is a very fun thing to do... :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: