• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

lakedawgs

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought an AGA (All Glass Aquarium) Mini Bow 5 gallon aquarium. Made of acrylic. Here is a pic of the tank, http://www.all-glass.com/products/a.../minibow5.shtml
Can any owners show me how they modded thier hoods to hold 2 of the screw in compact flour. lights? I know its been done and I have some ideas, I am just brainstorming.
Any help is appreciated.
Lakedawgs

Attachments

• minibow5.jpg
    minibow5.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 618

MonKei

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lakedawgs,
I have that same aquarium and ran into the same problem.. if you take the light assembly apart, you will notice that it holds a two light adapter (a t of sorts, you'll see what i mean) so it already comes wired for two lights. but you will need to center the T in the hood to allow for two lights, if its perfectly centered it will house two screw in CF lights, with enough room to replace them if needed.
To get it centered, you'll need to take and chip away at all the plastic stuff around on the inside of the hood, I used a dremel tool and then used a set of flat pliers to break the rest off. then cut a small hole big enough for the light fixture's screw to go threw, and voila! it will fit.. it works, its kinda sketchy, but it fits... for reflectors, I cut a soda can in half, and put the shiny side down up in the top of the hood. fits nicely, a little trimming is needed, but nothing too bad.. it all looks good when its done
HOWEVER, with this kind of setup, you will notice a nice dark spot in the center of the aquarium, really not to attractive, and really makes it hard to place corals and stuff, what I ended up doing was buying a few acrylic sheets from home depot and some strong epoxy, and constructed my own homebrew hood, which houses two 10w CF screw in lights and a 13w CF as well.
good luck!

lakedawgs

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MonKei,
Thanks much for the reply. I will look at the hood when I get home. I have 2 19watt 6500K bulbs. I am considering making a hood out of thin wood to hold the two bulbs and 1 13watt actinic.
Any chances of seeing a pic or two of your acrylic hood? I have worked with acrylic before and think that might be an interesting way to go after seeing your post.
Also, how do you clean the insides of your tank of algea and such?
thanks much,
lakedawgs

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: