• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

HClH2OFish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the chance...pick up this months issue of Coral. They've got some *incredible* nano's featured....all the way down to 1/2 gal..plus some great articles on setting up some of these picos..nanos..what have you.

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PLEASE let us know what it says, I have no access to that mag down here!! I have looked on their site but they do not mention any of that issue's content...If you submit it as a paraphrase it should be okay to let all of us isolated texas reef aquarists know what is going on in the world. What in the world did they have to say about half gallon reefs?

B

HClH2OFish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at work right now, so don't have the issue in front of me.
In a nutshell the entire mag is devoted this month to all things Nano.
Basically it's spotlighting Nano's and it's in a good light...nothing negative at all. Sorta referring to those who keep nano's almost like the Japanese with Bonsai's.....lotta work, but beautiful environs.
Even has a DIY on making a slick setup on a rotating turntable....only filtration is with an airhose bubbler inside of LR...it aerates and creates laminar flow in the tank. I can hardly believe the amount of life some of these guys have in their small tanks.
Now I definitely wanna get that 1Gal square from my LFS!!!

I'll post more when I get home tonite....

mark78

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you find it and when did it come out? I picked up the first issue a couple weeks ago, was not sure if they were old or current.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
brandon429":2wiyw15d said:
PLEASE let us know what it says, I have no access to that mag down here!! I have looked on their site but they do not mention any of that issue's content...If you submit it as a paraphrase it should be okay to let all of us isolated texas reef aquarists know what is going on in the world. What in the world did they have to say about half gallon reefs?

B

Brandon, if you really want a copy I can mail one to you. They have them at several stores here in Austin. Definitely a neat issue - deal with very simple small systems, a few articles by Daniel Knop with some great pictures of setting up a tank.

HClH2OFish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked mine up at my fave LFS....I'm not sure, but I'd think the larger chains (B. Dalton etc.) would likely carry it.
It's a bimonthly and this is issue #2...#1 had info on seahorses..
I believe #3 will be out this month...
Subs are around $30 IIRC...

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technoshaman, I really appreciate it! How can I pay you for the issue? I'll shoot you back some $$ for the trouble--pm'ing my address

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't wait to read about their laminar flow observations. That was a great term by the way... sure beats "flows up from behind the live rock wall"

:)

HClH2OFish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, they aren't really observations per se. The laminar flow is mentioned in a DIY that shows them putting together 3 pieces of LR with airline tubing thru them...then adding into the 'tank' (Glass is more like it!)
They have a neat little diagram showing how this works in the nano as the only filtration...air bubbling up inside the airline tube causes water to be pulled down thru the substrate..up the tube, then out at the top where it spreads out till it hits the walls and back down...hence the laminar flow.
System looks incredibly simple....I'll honestly try to get online tonite and put up a bit more info (got tons of aminals at home so it's hard to find the time...)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want in on that. Who do I gotta bribe to get myself a copy of the nano-centric issue?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: