• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I am moving this week, This is what I plan with my 10 gal plexiglass tank.
I plan to empty 5 gallons out of it and unstack the rocks, then prety much move it as is. I will probably invest in a battery powered airpump for basic circulation during the move. The downtime for the tank will probably be no more than an hour maybe 2. I will have some Ice in bags ready since it has been hot here in the valley. It is a bit of a nicer plexi 10 gallon with about 3.9mm glass, so I don't think it will crack.

Do you guys have any other advice fer me?

TIA

Alfred

MonKei

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving's fun... I just brought my 5gal back down to stockton from portland oregon, 650 miles about.. I dropped the water down to about half ish, and had a power inverter in my car and just plugged in the filter and bubbles.. so it was down for roughly 18 hours, seems to have survived fine. so 2 hours shouldnt be bad.. good luck,
ps where in the valley are you?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MonKei":np3vyu9b said:
Moving's fun...
You're insane. - Moving is fun.. :roll:

I'm moving this weekend too.. - Same type of situation except I'm just moving across town (and its a REALLY REALLY small town...) - Got a 30g reduced down to a 10g AGA for what little bit of livestock I have and a 15g rubbermaid for the remaining portion of rock that wouldn't fit.

I'm planning on the same thing, drop about half the water out of the 10g, half out of the rubbermaid and boogie. - In my case I'm not sweating the airstone as I'll only have them down for maybe a half hour, but if I were going to have them down as long as you, yeah, battery operated airstone.. -- Heck, I'll be "investing" in a few anyway.. - Especially after reading this thread: http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=54101

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm I usually take the fish and stuff out - all the motion/commotion will stir up the sandbed pretty bad and may cause a quick nitrate spike. Disposeable tupperwares from the grocery store make excellent containers for fish being moved.

Be sure to carry it carefully from each end and not to twist the tank while you are holding it.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey MonKei,

I'm moving Out of stockton. Thanks for the advice guys. I may do the tupperware thing, it makes good sense.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: