• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Salutations all!

I just got infected with the nano bug... I wanted to see how smal I could really go and still have cool stuff in an unorthodox tank shape. The standard rectangle just doesnt do it for me when its as small as a shoe box or a bit larger...
I wanted to know about lighting... for something as small as, say, 2-4 gallons. I really wanted to do a smaller squamosa clam in one of these little guys, but I am leery at the lighting requirements... That an some zoos on one chunk of LR and xenias on another.
Could I get away with 2-3 13-Watt PCs, one actinic, over a tank that size? 26-39 watts over 3 gallons?
The other thing I was wondering about and coudnt figure out was the other equipment: skimmer, heater, powerheads... Ive already seen the Palm filter thingy, but I think that more water flow would be fairly necessary, and Im certain a heater would be, right? As for a skimmer, would a tank that small necessitate such a device? Im not really sure here...
Otherwise, I think that would be a fairly solid little tank, right?
Any help would be highly appreciated!
Thanks

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, welcome to our board. I am thrilled to see another person with a natural tendency for tiny reefs, for sure you the one you are describing will work easily-- minus some of the equipment you've mentioned. The dual 13 watts will work, but I think you will like 13w x 3, one actinic. Dual photosynthetic drivers grow stony corals very well. The heater for sure will be needed, and a decent powerhead.

The key to pico reef success is control of bioload--either leave the fish out and go for dense coral growth (and enjoy a steady system) or stock lightly and agree to work harder on your water quality--don't lax on water changes. By the time you see algae patches it's too late, this is a clear indication of water quality neglect and will be tough to recover. Water changes (with our synthetic salts) can be seen as a dual-edge sword in that frequent changes keep the column free of nitrogen compounds and so-called "algae fuel", but they also limit the critical physical and chemical steady-states that a diverse reef system requires for long-term processes, such as calcification and deposition. Too many changes are limiting over the long haul, and too few are limiting to the life of a pico reef over the long haul.

I'll pm you some cool links

Welcome!
Brandon M.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey brandon!

Why not post 'em here so we can all enjoy the cool links?

:)

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
because they are just the same ol' threads of mine that have been in here since the Forum's infancy--you guys might possibly vomit if the reefbowl thread were to resurface again and hang around for another few months... he he

I used up all my excuses to circulate that one several months ago.

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol fine.

ps some dude at nano-reef constructed a really cheap DIY nano all from precut glass and premade corner moldings ... i think i might want to do that. home depot, here i come!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I wanna see the Reefbowl! I didnt get a link for that! That sounds crazy cool too! No fair! :? :( :x 8O :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: