• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Jolieve

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My husband's 10 gallon nano has... a ridiculous population of flatworms. I am concerned that these are going to die off any day and take his tank with them.

Is it safe to use flatworm exit in a tank of this size? If not, what other steps can we take to eliminate the flatworms without harming the livestock?

Thanks!
J.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t ... =flatworms
HTH...I would never use flatworm exit, or any other Joe's juice/'reefsafe' type medication in my reef. For one, even if it does work without harming anything but the flatworms (which I seriously doubt) you'll have a bunch of decaying flatworms to foul up your tank. I say siphon them out.

Jolieve

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I really needed to know. I'm not a fan of medications myself, but the flatworms are getting so numerous that you can see huge clusters of them on the glass, without having to look all that hard.

Will siphon them out during the w/c instead. Thank you!

J.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That picture I took is what all my glass looked like before I siphoned some out. I hadn't seen a single one for a year and a half, and bam they're in there by the hundreds now. I really have no idea what fueled that explosion.

Jolieve

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hehe.. already read the other thread. No nudibranchs in this tank... and probably not in any of my other tanks for a long time :)

J.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for confirming / reiterating what I'd already heard from my LFS re: the nudi's David.. Now I know why my LFS only carried six-line wrasse.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard mandarins will eat them too, but this is obviously not an option for nanos. My local reef club has a nudi right now that's making the rounds. Apparently they have one or two for the entire city, and it gets 'rented' out to whomever has a flatworm problem.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: