• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Hi,
I have a 20 gal long fowlr. I want to add mushrooms and maybe an xenia. I now have one 18 inch floresent tube. I was looking at the compact floresent and was wandering what type and how many watts you all think I need?

A

Anonymous

Heya.

Wattage is up to you, basically the more the merrier but it'll cost you. If you really care to get particular make sure to get a 50/50 PC bulb ... one that is half white and half blue. Make sure it's:
a) White 10,000k
b) Blue - true actinic 03 not just blue

Start by browsing the lights on www.marinedepot.com and www.hellolights.com

Also many people like to fix their own, so if you're DIY type person, you can save a butt-ton of money on lights.

Good luck!

A

Anonymous

Yes I want to DIY. sorry if my questions are so beginnerish. but I can't find out how long the bulbs are. They are just listed in Watts.
Do I need to worry about heat with PC?

A

Anonymous

Often times you need to look up the parts (like the bulb, the boot, the ballast) and get the dimensions for each one. That's what I had to do with my 32w retrofit. It ended up being like 13" or something weird like that. Try looking on the bulb-only pages, they usually list the lengths and stuff.

Depending on your tank setup, you may need to worry about heat, is your top open or closed?

My current setup is fan cooled and it works just fine

A

Anonymous

I saw a post that sugested a glass lid with a hinge and I was thinking of that. the light I was planning to install in a hood that will be raise with four leggs. I think it is the easist and cleanest way for now. The tank is on a console TV so I can watch both. hehe

Newreefer1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry Teddy, not to interrupt but Hwarang when you get a chance can you answer my question at I just joined 7% of nanocube nation. Which I nominate you as president of this new nation!!!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is quite all right. where at in MD are you? Maybe you can give me some ideas on lights also.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Teddy - I had the same kind of glass top on my 30g ... with the light resting directly on the aquarium, it headed up badly. I tried raising the fixure a few inches but the lid still did a greenhouse type thing and made heat accumulate inside the aquarium. I eventually removed it and let the aquarium be open top, and hung the light fixture from the ceiling about 7" off the water's surface. it looked really crappy.

One thing dude ... you really want to consider a new place to put the aquarium.

a) On top of the tv will be soooooo hot, you'll cook everything!
b) is that a load bearing TV? most aren't
c) static erectricity and electromagnetic discharge are supposedly bad for fish. i guess i've never seen it first hand, but ppl always say to keep it away from TV's and speakers etc.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well..I never thought of that stuff. Thank you. No top will be fine with me on both tanks now I leave the lids open anyway.
Thanks again.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pretty sure it does ... i guess you plug the light in and it automatically flips between night/day modes ... i wonder if you can set the intervals or if it's stuck at 12on / 12off?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well now that I am home. I looked and decided to build the first set of lights to the tank on the book shelf, its 30 gal. But now I have more room to work with. I have to think of a place to put the 20 gal so the little monsters can't get to it. lol
I will do more reserch and check back with you to see if you think it will work.
Thank you for your help.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I will get a 96 Watt quad. With bulb , Balast , and reflector I will be less then $150. So I will look into it more.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: