• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure.. - Box 'em up and send 'em to me, I'll take care of them for ya.. :wink:

Can you attach a pic?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, a pic if you can. (to be sure they're BTA's).

Second, I'll buy one, or if you feel generous, I'll gladly pay the shipping to get one or two sent my way. :)

woot?

Pisces1

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to cause a scene if they aren't BTA's afterall, but I am almost positive. Whatever they are they are spreading like mad. They're not translucent like aptasia, more of a dark brown with a greenish hue. The mouth is quite large and has an orange-ish color in the center. I'll take a pic tonight and see what u think.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am kind of worried about it being a hitchhiker bubble tip that is multiplying rapidly.

It would be really really rare for a BTA to hitchhike.

But, it would be very typical for a majano anemone to show up on live rock, and they spread like crazy. I made the mistake of feeding my majanos, because they have bubble tips I thought they were a BTA's, now I am seriously considering throwing out much of my rock, or at least putting it in the backyard for a while to completely dry, because the mojanos have take over.

Majano anemones are pests, they multiply like crazy, have bubble tips, and are rarely more than an inch in diameter.

I really hope you have a true BTA, but thought I would put out a warning to you so you don't end up like me.

at_07.jpg
Here is a pic,

Pisces1

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Laura,

I think these are what I have. Your pictures are exactly what mine look like. They are all relatively small and have the bulbed end with the pointy tip. And they are brown like yours. At first I was thinking, "cool!" BTA's! But when I saw them spreading like this I quickly realized they are taking over my tank. This is the first I've ever heard of these Majano anemones. I'd really hate to have to sun-dry my rock. Hmmm....thanks for the info though. - Dan

Laura D":20qy2j5n said:
I am kind of worried about it being a hitchhiker bubble tip that is multiplying rapidly.

It would be really really rare for a BTA to hitchhike.

But, it would be very typical for a majano anemone to show up on live rock, and they spread like crazy. I made the mistake of feeding my majanos, because they have bubble tips I thought they were a BTA's, now I am seriously considering throwing out much of my rock, or at least putting it in the backyard for a while to completely dry, because the mojanos have take over.

Majano anemones are pests, they multiply like crazy, have bubble tips, and are rarely more than an inch in diameter.

I really hope you have a true BTA, but thought I would put out a warning to you so you don't end up like me.

at_07.jpg
Here is a pic,

crod75

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info and picture Laura. I recently purchased a piece of live rock with two of these anemones because I thought for sure that they must be BTAs. However, mine look exactly like the ones in your picture and it definitely does seem to make more sense that pest anemones instead of BTAs would survive on live rock.
At this point I am left wondering how to deal with them. The live rock they are on is really colorful so I'll probably just watch them for now and then decide later on how to deal with them.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can still send them to me if you like..

I'll even take pics and post them to show you how nice and "toasty" they are...... (The torch will be ready and waiting with plenty of gas to keep them warm for a long, long time..)

:wink:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to kill them as if they were aptaisia, with kalk paste or vineger injections. If you start now you can get them, I only mention the drying out my rock because I have about 75 lb of live rock covered with them, and the amount I have seems to be more than I can kill, I finally removed all that rock from my main tank and have it in a tub plumbed into the system, when I am able to get a rock free of them it goes back in the main tank.

Mine got so bad because I read in a reputable book, "bubble tip anemones are the only anemones with bubble tips." So I thought COOL! I have BTA's! and fed them and they divided like crazy, and never stopped. They do sting corals like aptaisia too.

Sorry for the bad news, I really wanted to think that mine were BTA's too.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ack...I have one underneath a brain I just got. Do peppermints like them?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, peppermints don't care for them.

I would cover it with thick kalk paste. I make a paste and suck a little up in a piece of rigid air line tubing like a straw, then very gently blow the paste out over the anemone, so it covers it. You can use a length of flexible air line tubing to make it long enough that you can put one end of the tube over the anemone and blow into the other end.

That is my super duper anemone killing tactic.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good grief...I can't even make myself a sandwich! You ain't gonna be in this area any time soon, are ya? :P

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me chime in and mention a way that has also worked very very well for me, eradicating Aiptasia in my picos. It is also a very tricky situation due to the size restrictions I work in--have to be careful not to poison the immedate living surroundings with whatever I'm using to kill the bad polyps... I find that actual injection (with syringe/insulin needle) gets to these polyps quite well as I infer that high-pH solutions directly on the inndards of these unwelcome guests shuts them down quickly.

You can go to KMart or WalMart's pharm section and ask for a bag of diabetic syringes, then suck up whatever form of alkalinity supplement you are using and shoot it right into the undesirables. They melt away quickly. I supposed several different reef additives would work like this when concentrated and injected... but the alk support works for me just like Laura has mentioned.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: