• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

dom

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I just sold my 75 g (too much work) and went to a 12 gallon nano for my little boy. I was just wondering what type of mix of fish, starfish, corals etc I can have. obviously I don't want too much but how much is too much??

And it has been a while but what is the best source of ammonia for starting the cycling of the tank?

One more thing, the tank came with the charcoal, bioballs etc. They seemed to be switched around. According to the box from right to left.. there should be the pump/powerhead in the first compartment, then a sponge with bio balls on top in the 2nd. then the ceramic rings with charcoal bag on top in the third followed by the 2 sponges in the final comaprtment. Is this correct?? :?:
Thanks

Dom

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dom - not sure about the placement of the various media. I ended up removing all of that and putting live rock in there. Unless they have changed the design there are some issues with not getting any water breaking the surface from the return and also form the wet dry are being basically stagnant. You may want to check some of the other nano cube threads here or on Nano-reef.com for ideas on how to make the most of this tank.

As for the ammonia cycle - just add a couple small pieces of live rock and if you think you need to you can add a small piece of table shrimp to start the cycle. If you are using cured live rock you shouldn't really get much of a cycle - I'd just set it up and let it run for 2-3 weeks with just rock and sand and check your levels periodically.

For livestock I'd say a couple fish and invertebrates would be about it.

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, small-scale die-off and proteins associated with the live rock (curing for the specific environment) should be plenty enough to cycle. Each of those filter compartment ideas is great, as long as detritus and crud isn't allowed to build up both would work fine.

its funny you mentioned something, about buying a nano due to the hassle of the conventional setup...thats what I think! I do agree that nanos are simpler to maintain when compared to large setups, both in cost and actual maintenance. Nothing beats an effective 3 gallon water change eh?

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's a JBJ 12g nanocube? rock on, 5% nation of nanocube!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: