• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Rod18844

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nano cube and in past month or so I have seen a great amount of green coralline growing on the back. Is the green coralline ok? And Is it green because of the low lights I have in the nano cube? Also I am having a bit of hair algae and I want to know if any inverts will eat this algae. I know all about the phosphate remover media that I can buy to fight this kind of algae, but what about inverts? Thanks in advance!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heya.

Green coraline is just another type. I think they all come from different regions ... and because of this they may prefer different conditions. If you get LR from different sources and it comes in with say ... purple, green and pink ... you may find that not all of those types of coraline algae thrive in your aquarium's conditions. Or they may all thrive. Green is just as good as any, but I suppose I prefer looking at the pink or purple stuff.

More hermits will help with your hair algae. How many do you have in there? In mine, I have two scarlet leg, two dwarf blue leg and one black and white hermit, they seem to be adequatly controlling the algae.

-Good luck!
ps how about some pix. I always like to see pix of nanocubes.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh! Totally get more hermits man, that'll help. You'd be surprised at how much they can help. In my first aquarium, when I was taking it down, I moved some of the hermits to my nano and sold the rest about a week prior to deconstruction. In that one week without hermits, the whole tank got owned by hair algae.

Well, I'm sure there are people more knowledgeable about hermits (so speak up!) but I was under the impression that the ones commonly used in the saltwater aquarium trade are all algae grazers. Check out the pix and descriptions on this page:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scat ... pCatId=501

dwarf blue leg, dwarf zebra, dwarf red tip (my least fav), scarlet reef

tazdevil

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be forewarned, hermits tend to have a habit of killing and eating snails. From what I've heard, Blue legs are #1 culprit, followed by redtips, then zebra and scarlets are far down the list (a kinder gentler hermit perhaps LOL).

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unless you get larger snails..i have 4 large turbos in my 20...my hermits leave them alone, needless to say..that supports the hermits kill snails for a home upgrade theory.. :wink: i dont really know how much dwarf hermits really control hair algae though? but yes more hermits just for detritus control nonetheless...besides i get comical amusement outta those guys bumbling around in the tank.. :lol:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
taz there are things you can do to reduce the likelyhood of them attacking your snails for their shells

a) give them a shell shopping mall. buy like 12 shells and throw 'em in

b) stick to the dwarf blue legs. they're so small and puny hehe ...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i bought a bunch of shells at a local dollar store here in town..now i know that does you no good but its an idea to keep you eyes open..if not check wit h you LFS..the LFS i go to is cool and puts in xtra shells when you purchase dwarf hermits..the guy is really cool....

Sprattoo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IF anyone on here wants shells and wants to pay for S/H and maybe pitch me a couple of bucks... I have access to a plethra of snail shells.

They aren't overly pretty to some folks I suppose... but some are nice and I personally like these shells.
I live on the coast of Maine and there are plenty of atlantic snail and welk type snails shells here. most are brown, black, or combos of those colors.

I put in a whole hand full and my hermits are forever mulling them over, they don't even seem to battle one another so much either.

None of them are very big the biggest not more than 1/2" opening.

I always count on them to clean up snails that fall upside down that I don't see or for whatever reason need to be cleaned up.
Maybe they do eat some snails, but the turbos seem to be so prolific that if a few get eaten.. ((shrug)) thats the food chain.

My single red hermit is my personal favorite. but IMHO like people and our communities, I think if a tank has more diversity it is destined to be a stronger tank in the end... so I keep some of each blue, red (scarlet), zebra, tipped. As long as they don't eat the stuff I want to make more of... their in!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$.25 is kinda expensive if you have a bunch of snails...i bought a whole ish load at a dollar store....next time im there i can pick some up and send them to ya..free of charge..how bout that... :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i meant kinda expensive if you have a bunch of hermits*..oops...Hwarang how many hermits do you have in your tank?your 12? btw do you still have your 29Gal?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 29gal is deconstructed. In my 12g Nanocube I have 5 hermits - two scarlet reef, two dwarf blue leg, one zebra stripe.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
personal ? why did you take down the 29? looked like it was going good.??

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: