• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I saw these mods in another thread. Anyone that's got some info for me, it's appreciated.

download.php

...Q: How did you mount the clips that hold the 2nd light? When I looked at my hood, it seems as if there's a compartment or something in that exact spot where I should drill. What I mean is, when i flip the lid over (so it's upright) I can see a swell in the thickness of the lid there. Or am I just seeing things? Should I just drill right through? That's kinda ghetto to have the hardware displaying. But I guess I could use black colored round top screws.

download.php

...Q: i'm a noob at reef plumbing and such. Any tips for this? Is there a how-to somewhere? Where can I buy that nozzle deal? I really wanna do this mod ...

Thanks for any help you might have!
-Bree

Juck

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if I understand you correctly here,,, but don't drill the compartment under the other half of the reflector,, that's where the ballast lives. :)

In order to get the retro 28w PC in there you have to take the stock ballast out and run it behind the tank someplace.

Not sure about the directional doobrie,, I'm sure someone else here will.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok that's exactly what I was asking, but the picture posted is still confusing me. The pic appears to illustrate the ballast having been removed and the 2nd light being put in that spot ... if so, would I not need to drill 2 holes for the light clips?

ps thanks for all your advice, juck.

Juck

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eesh,, glad we sidestepped drilling-through-the-ballast!

I haven't seen the retro kit from Hellolights personally so I don't know how long the screws are. Did you PM the guy who did the mod? I can't remember who it was.

Perhaps the holders could be epoxied in place,, pretty much any 2-part epoxy would do.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you PM the guy who did the mod?

Yes but he hasn't responded and I don't wanna pester him just yet. Epoxy would be fine. Preferable even, since it's easy. Can you describe to me more about moving the ballast behind the tank?

- Do you have to do any rewiring (cutting/disconnecting and soldering/reconnecting)?

- Did you simply discombobulate the existing ballast and rearrange, or was any serious modification needed?

I'm super leery of doing this lighting upgrade because of potential for wrecking my new nano if i screw up, but I also realize it's the single best advantage i can give the stuff in my tank. . . so any advice you have would be TEH LOVE.

thanks again juck.

Juck

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't moved my ballast,,, I did the $10 lighting upgrade like in the other thread,,,, I just placed the new bulb next to the stock bulb,,, it's not clamped there or anything.

The 28w upgrade from hellolights is about $69 plus shipping. I think this is the kit he used:

http://www.hellolights.com/14nanretkit.html

I imagine the stock ballast is only held there with a couple of screws,,, if you're going to place the ballast behind the tank then you might have to extend some of the wiring.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ohhhhhhh. ok. i'll stop being retarded now. i thought you guys were talking about the same or similar enough light upgrades.

*wanders off to watch more dune on scifi*

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: