• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

An interesting thing happend in my Nanocube.

It's good and bad at once. When I made the surface skimmer modification, it raised the water level a bit. Doing so redirected the water current a bit. Now I have this forceful "downdraft" in the front right corner. My substrate is very fine, but the downdraft isn't engough to kick up a real dust cloud. What is happening is that it's just enough to kick up a little sand. Over the course of a week, a depression maybe 1" deep and 5" across has formed in the corner, from the sand slowly swirling out.

It's been this way for seven days.

Observations:
• blastomussa wellsii died ... :( this happened very fast, so fast that I didn't even notice it was ailing until it was too late. i think the particles that settled on its polyps, even though they weren't that many, may have irritated it. i think it died in like 8 -12 hours when i was gone all day)
• huge, huge, huge copepod and amphipod population explosion. they probably represent the most biomass in my tank, LOL!
• very small red flatworm outbreak
• green star polyp looks like it's been taking super crack monkey steroids (doing really well)
• mushrooms, xenia, polyps and leather toadstool also on steroids
• water tested 1/2 way through this week of sandbed disturbance: no change in usual ammo or nit's ... (it's been 4 days since i tested though and i wanted to try again tonight or tomorrow)
• small bits of sand are on, but not really "coating" the LR. the copepods seem to love this.
• caulerpa growing even more than normal, and is heavily coated in the tiny red flatworms.

I was wondering about leaving the tank this way permanently, and having it be a shroom/softie tank (basically is already but I have two LPS and one tiny SPS ... every week or so I can just push the sand back into the little divot.

Comments, suggestions ... flames?
-meh

A

Anonymous

My guess is the oil slick (surface proteins) you probably had before the change suddenly got churned into the water column and has since caused the effects you're seeing.. (They won't show up in the usual tests.)

You still running two lights on that little monster? - Sorry to hear about the blasto..

A

Anonymous

Isn't it more likely that it's organics from the stirred up sand bed?

Newreefer1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H -dog,
I too get the downward current with out the mod to overflow. I use my glass cleaning magnet to disperse the stream like you do. What happen to your magnet? I guess my current is not as strong either because I still have original pump/ph in place. But I was surprised to see how much of a current that it actually has.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's still there but for some reason now that the water level is raised nothing I do removes that downdrafting current? :|

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hwarang":o51ihb8d said:
Isn't it more likely that it's organics from the stirred up sand bed?

Yeah, could be.. Could be a combination or something else altogether. Sort of like trying to analyze the path of a lightning strike after its fried everything in your home ain't it? - It sucks that it happened, but hopefully everythings done and over.

Throw out some more pics if you can and I'm really interested in what you've settled on for lights..

Norm

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you thinking of the correct person? I've had my lights setup for a while now and spammed the board mightily with pix :)

Here's a repost, sorry to have to link to a "competitor" site but I am revamping my webserver/website right now and I literally saved a backup and nuked everything in the HTML folder!

http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/showph ... 500&page=2

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I was watching my tank. It's totally all the little dead copepods, floating around and landing on corals. They're giving the corals a never-ending meal. I worried about the buildup of dead pods because surely most would decay vs. being eaten... tests came out ok (the usual again: ph, sg, alk, ca, ammo, both nits)

so the stirred up sand is probaby feeding them and then their weentsy little corpses feed tha sarlacc's ... i mean corals.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, last i remember you were thinking about yanking the 32w or something along those lines.. - sorry, guess i should dig around/play catchup to make sure i'm up on the latest..

that wasn't spamming mightily either.. - its a good mod, one i wanted to make sure could be done before i would seriously consider the jbj.. - thanx for sharing it..

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ohh i remember now. i think i was just keeping an eye on it for heat and to see how my shrooms were doing with all the excess light. but i figured out the problem with the shrooms wasn't light related and they're all roxxoriffic now, and the cooling fan keeps the hood AOK. HFLF!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hwarang id like to see some nex pix with the new mod...Also im setting up a 5.5gal Mantis tank(not that you really care) but if you know anybody willing to throw one away send them my direction...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: