• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

crod75

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have a Nano Cube aquarium that I plan on setting up by the end of the summer after I have completed building a stand for it. Like most others setting up a new tank, I have gone back and forth as to how I want to stock it. I originally was planning on a rose bubble tip anemone with one compatible clownfish. They sound like they are one of the easier to keep anemones; however, it seems from what I have read that they are still fairly demanding as far as light requirements. I was hoping that the stock 24 watt PC bulb would be enough, but after seeing that it is fairly dim, I am skeptical as to whether it would be bright enough for a BTA. My question is whether or not anyone has had any experiences (successful or not) in keeping a BTA in a Nano Cube with the stock lighting. (By the way, I have thought about increasing the wattage of lighting with some retrofits, but I really want to avoid having to cut or alter the stock cover)

Thanks,

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there Crod75 we welcome your anemone question! I want to jump in the tactful way before any anemonerudeness shows its ugly head :)

You'll typically see anemone husbandry discouraged across the board in nanos due to several unpredictable variables that affect their longevity. Primarily, silverside/meat feeding (one common aspect of anemone keeping) is discouraged in nanos because of the emitted biowastes, particularly ammonia associated with tissue decomposition. Then there is the debate in lighting--some say MH is required and some say a decent PC setup with active feeding (silversides or meat chunks) will do the trick... it is obvious why both of these issues present a considerable challenge to the BTA-in-the-nano group. I have never kept one so I am spouting a few years collective reading back at ya; no doubt someone on here has kept them successfully in a nano but surely this group could not legitimately recommend the practice to others. BTA/Nano husbandry is purely experimental in my opinion and should not be planned for a standard, long-term nano design.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Brandon..its a nutrient/waste issue..I have kept BTA's and Condy's and with no success i have given up...another thing brandon is right on, is that there are people who have successfully kept them, some on pure dumb luck and some of the more seasoned hobbyists...several factors are involved in keeping these fragile creatures...a mature tank is one factor and another is the experience of the hobbyists..Anemones are discouraged for the beginner, including the "hardy" anemones...NOT saying youre a beginner/novice since i dont know the status of your reef keeping, but these are just a few things to think about when making an anemone selection...

crod75

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the great info Brandon and LordNikon. I am definitely glad I got your input before possibly making the mistake of getting a BTA and having such a fascinating (and pricey) animal wither away.
I was on the fence as to whether to get a BTA and based on your comments I won't be getting one for my Nano Cube.
I am not planning to run the tank with a skimmer so the nutrient issues you both mentioned could definitely become a major problem.
I think I'll go with plan B: some non-demanding soft corals (mushroom anemones, GSPs, etc) and a yellow headed jawfish and/or royal gramma.

Thanks again,

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see it done quite often honestly, but wouldn't recommnend it, nor would I do it myself.

Jim

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: