• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Ok I keep getting asked for pix so here ya go:

hoodmods.jpg

At first I was worried about the whole fire hazard thing ... but it worked out well. The fan keeps the aquarium water at a perfect 78 degrees. The hood is naturally warmer, but not by a lot. I poked and prodded it after letting the lights run all day ... it's all good.

In the pic you can see: the original JBJ light, the 32w upgrade light, the cooling fan and the moon lights.

How it works:

I fake a sunrise in the morning. First one light turns on, then a half hour later the other light. Then the moon lights turn off for the day and the cooling fan turns on.

At night it's simply the opposite. I fake a sunset by having one light go off a half hour earlier than the other, the fan turns off and the moonlights come on.

Overall, the toughest thing was tracking down a radio shack to sell me the fan. Oh and the fan is very quiet, even on a low setting it does a dynamite job cooling the tank.

The only downside is that now I have to worry about evap. . . boo! It was sooo nice not to have to top off a tank.

Well, I don't know what to do now. I think the tank is extended as far as I want to take it. About the only thing left would be to monkey with the filter area and turn it into a sump/fuge something, but I already threw a few chunks of LR back there ... *shrug*

Ticeman

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks Good. That's quite the set up. Where did you get the moonlights? I just added a second JBJ 24 stock 50/50 to mine. With the reflector in place and with a little jamning I was able to add the second ballast next to the first and both lights are side by side. I'm going to need a fan soon to keep the temperature down. Like always your set up looks great.

Thanks,
Tice

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on a side note, this aquarium has evaporation issues now, with the fan added on.

me no like.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
shut off the fan!

Just kidding.

can you seal the top from the tank, to the fan doesn't blow on the water, just the lights?
(I've never seen a nanocube, so don't kill me for asking a stupid question!)

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would take some effort, but it's probably possible. However, I want to cool the water and the light housing ... I'm going to have to live with evap.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: