• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

ripley2112

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there

Thought I'd throw this question out for group discussion. I'm looking to purchase my first mini/nano type reef tank. I have had many years of salt water experience in the past ranging from reefs, octopi, inverts and shark tanks. I've been out of the hobby for a few years now due to a young family and would like to reinvest in the hobby. I believe a nano style tank would be a great place to introduce the family to the saltwater hobby.

Focus of habitants would be clowns and anemones - any advice on tank manufactures, extra options (skimmers) and lighting would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Chris

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Chris,
Welcome to RDO!

A new "plug in and fill with water" type tank has recently hit the market, and it's become very popular. It's called the "JBJ 12g NanoCube" There are several threads on this forum dedicated to critiques of it. I've had lots of hardcore reef tanks, with SPS corals, surge tanks, etc. and I really like this tank.

Of course, there's always the option of customizing your own larger tank too. If you really are determined to keep a host sea anemone, this is your best bet. I feel obliged to refer to this article
http://www.reefs.org/library/article/r_toonen8.html
whenever someone asks about one.

Keep us posted on your tank!
Matt

Juck

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiya Chris & welcome.

What kind of anemone are you thinking of for your nano? I have a Bubble Tip in my Nanocube and it is doing ok but I think that's because it gets fed a lot and it's right at the top of the tank, as close to the lights as it can get.

I'm not an anemone expert but I doubt you'd be able to keep something like a carpet or Ritteri anemone in a Nanocube without a serious lighting upgrade,, the stock 24w isn't enough.

That said,,, the nanocube is a cool tank for sure if you don't mind a bit of tweaking here and there.

Good luck

ripley2112

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info - I've had alot of success through the years with carpet and bubble tip anemones with clarke eyes. These were the species I was considering keeping in this tank - if the tank went in this direction and not corals. At this point I want to purchase a nano tank that's the the best available otherwise I'll be forced to buy something larger. The location chosen for the tank (at this point) really won't house anything larger than 12-15gal.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: