• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Hopefully one that my porcelain crab might take a shine to. I've got a small Heteractis aurora (or maybe hybrid aurora x malu), and it's one day going to outgrow the tank.

The tank is a 12g JBJ nanocube with about 56w of PC lighting, 50/50 in 10k and actinic. No additional filtration other than what's in the back. Water params are tight, regular water changes rule the school. Other inhabitants are: two yellow clown gobies, hermit crabs, snails, various corals like mushrooms, xenia, etc.

Meloco14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have 56W in there? I thought you only had the 32 smartlight, or did you have that in there with the original 24 this whole time? I didn't know you could fit the 32 and the 24 in there. Was it easy?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what happened:

1. I bought the nano
2. Two days later the ballast crapped out.
3. I had lotsa 32w smartlite retro kits laying around from my FW planted tank days so i took the old light/ballast out and put in the 32w retrofit
4. Then I ordered a new ballast. (lost my receipt they wouldn't credit me but oh well, my fault)
5. Got the ballast, put the old light back in (yes there was room, the light goes in front of the bulb and the ballast goes behind. i'll take pix later but today i gotta use my camera for the car show woo woo!).
6. added a cooling fan (60mm computer fan from radio shack, i shopped around for the one with the lowest decibel rating and everything)
7. yay!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tulip anemones?? i think those are too small for anemone crabs...

Meloco14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool, I'd appreciate the pics when you get the chance. Also, does the fan you got fit right on one of the two vents in the hood? I'd like to get a fan that would screw right into those existing studs. I was thinking of a computer fan, but they have those weird plugs that go into a computer power supply. How did you hook yours up? Thanks for all the info

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think an E. quadricolor is your best bet, but I'm strictly basing that on clownfish hosting anemones. I tried to get my anemone crab to host in some large Rhodactis mushrooms with no luck. You may have some luck with, say, a Condylactis or other very hardy anemone. I'm just not sure what a crab will go in.

Meloco14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the link Hwarang, sorry for these off topic questions, but how are you powering that fan? It's 12v DC and i assume has the same type of plug used in computers. I want one, I just need to know how to wire it. Thanks a lot, I appreciate all your help, this post and others...

warloc4326

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that those crabs really love hosting with:

Xenia
Both of my leathers (for some unknown reason)
rockflower anemone
Tahitian anemone (forgive the spelling, and the one I have is about 8" tall not including the tentacles)
Crocea Clam (once again I wish i knew why it tries to host with this)

However, I have 2 saddleback clowns and they've bonded with the tahitian anemone in my tank and tried to push the crab out. I believe between the fish and the crab they've worked something out because during the day the fish own the anemone and at night the crab is the only one i've found near the thing.

Thom

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: