• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

cain

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am adding another light to my nanocube, and two computer case fans. What is the best direction to point the fans, blow out or blow in?

Thanks fo rthe help.

SaltyMist

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blowing in, that way they are blowing assumed cooler air onto the surface of the water which sort of gives it the function of cooling the water as well as it will blow out of the tank in other vents.

Ducman996

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I add my fans, I was planning on add little ducts. This way they the air is not plowing on the surface( which would cause an increase in evaporation). I was also planning on sealing the light area as well. that way I can control all the air going to and from the lights. This idea has yet to fabracated so there maybe problems to over come. I am waiting until I get my fans. Which should be late next week.

J-bird

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally, if you set the fan to exhaust and blow the air out of the hood, you're fan isn't going to last very long. The salt air does a number on metal parts - especially all the copper in electrical motors. I added another 32W light to my nanocube, and added a 60mm fan blowing into the tank. I've just about doubled my evaporation rate, so in a nano it's still very manageable. I have my lights and fan on a powerstrip that is connected to a timer, so the fan turns on when the lights do in the morning, and they all turn off in the evening.

You may want to start with just one fan. My 1 fan more than handles the load of the extra light adds right now. Perhaps in the summer i might have to add another, but it only takes a few minutes.

BTW - i like your avatar. i can't wait for 4/2.

cain

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In it is. Since the fans are on an adjustable converter, and I already have two hooked up, I'm going to go with both on lowest setting. I'll let you know if it works.

Yes, 4/2 should be a really fun day in moviedom.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The salt air does a number on metal parts - especially all the copper in electrical motors.

Thanks for the tip, I completely forgot about that.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have two fans on my nano...one going in, one out. The one blowing out quickly failed, and the same amount of air escaped through the hole it was in anyway. So I guess the lesson is to to blow in and have lots of exhaust holes.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: