• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

LAgirlKath

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I've had my JBJ Nanocube for about a month now, and I'm noticing that the surface water has a lot of debris and scum on it. I understand the pump is not strong enough to pull the surface water into the intake, so I was just wondering what mods you all did to clear the surface water up. Would cutting slits above the intake (or something similar to that) work?

Thanks a ton for any info you can provide!
Kathy

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, you could upgrade the pump. The one I used is a MaxiJet 600 ... at first I thought it was a little powerful, but I just had to get used to it. Also, when I put rock and stuff in that broke up the flow a little more. It's very snug but it fits perfect, eliminating that annoying vibration you probably hear (many have posted about it).

One thing you can do is to put the magnet cleaner up in the right corner where the nozzle is. Put it at a 45 degree angle and it'll make a little whirlpool about 1" in diam. This sucks the scum off the surface nicely. Below is a pic, it's kinda hard to see depth from this shot, but you can see how the magnet is at a 45 degree angle, all the way to the top, about 1-2" away from the nozzle. Play with it until it makes a whirlpool.
http://www.website-x.com/nanocube/images/front_nice.jpg

Another thing you could do is block the vent and cut slits above it to make a true surface skimmer. Although, I opted not to do this ... the magnet thing works very well. There are plenty of posts about it here and on nano-reef.com if you want to investigate that further.

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you changed the water within that month period? I ask this, as a few different approaches can work together to control or live with the surface scum. They are proteins and assorted compounds that a skimmer would normally remove, so installing a skimmer is one viable option but I realize this is a simple nano and that increases the complexity and the cost. Also, you can learn to live with some surface scum if it is reasonable and also partnered with recurring water changes. All my reef have surface scum, as they are unskimmed, and it doesn't hurt anything because I do not leave the compounds in suspension long enough to break down into materials that feed algae. I change the water and suck them out, only for them to build up again through the natural tank processes. Left in there and allowed to accumulate they break down into the elemental materials that feed algal blooms, but they do not necessarily cause them while they are in whole compound form (the actual scum--you won't be able to see the elemental material [Carbon, Nitrogen, Phos])

You can also take a paper towel and lay it on the surface, the compounds will stick to it and be removed to a large degree if you dab enough. Youwon't remove all the protein, but will do enough export to prevent a backup/system consequence. You can alter your feeding regimen to allow lesser feeding or feeding of a different type, I guarantee you a feeding regimen that is less meaty and more vegetative will not carry the asociated compound makeup--but then again there are nutritive factors to contend with. My tanks get a very small amount of introduced protein (a few frog pellets a week) to feed pods and a few higher-order shrimp. I give Dt's (vegetative) to help the fanworms and sponges, and this has found a happy medium in my sub-gallon reefs such that the amount of residue leftover is not enough to degrade in the system significantly. I also couple this with the water changes, careful stocking, and paper-towel technique. Employ one or more of these methods (get the skimmer if all else fails and you still want to keep your current fish bioload) and you should be able to get things under control.

Brandon M>

LAgirlKath

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the great advice! I think the magnet will work perfectly. I was sort-of hesitant to start make slits in the tank, so I'm glad this solution exists.

Beautiful tank, by the way. I love your anenome. I have an anenome and clown fish in my tank, but the clown fish doesn't seem to play in the anenome. =( Maybe he's too young....or maybe I'm just telling myself that to make myself feel better... lol

Thanks again,
Kathy

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
/agree with brandon in the basic sense that mostly, it's the regular weekly water changes that are keeping the problem down. i've been diligent.

thx for the compliment :)

tazdevil

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hwarang, love the larger reef tank reflection on the nano. :lol:

Seriously, someone should make a mini skimmer for this tank and see if jbj wants to take it as a mod. for their stock tanks, for SW applications. Some money to be made possibly.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol i know. i'm only an amateur (or less) photoG.

it's this aquarium:
http://www.website-x.com/images/55/fullview.jpg

i'd love a skimmer in my JBJ nanocube, but i think mostly i would love the IDEA of a skimmer in there. minature gadgets and all that. really, it's mostly moot. my water tests fine and there is not surface scum.

as long as it was not an airstone driven model, it'd be all good in the hood.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: