• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Hey Matt or whoever else out there that is good with DIY. I would like to do a DIY autotopoff for my 20. any ideas/pics?

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know Matt mentioned it in his bowfront setup but I don't remember if it had any pics or details. Either way, when he sees this he'll chime in with whatever is currently working best.

The only autotopoff setup I have tried was a Kent aquadoser with a pinch-roller restrictor to control drip rate. This works well in that kalk or other ionic supports can be combined, but the trade off is an unsteady drip rate once the water level gets past half (less gravitational drip force) and this is also very pronounced in nanos where a constant drip rate is required. I think this method will work fine with a much oversized reservoir, so that the halfway point takes at least a week to reach. other than that, I had to topoff my topoff device every few days which you can see is rather redundant

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking at some ideas for this. I've seen an air driven one connected to a float switch. basically, you've got an air pump connected via airline tubing to a 1gallon (or whatever) jug. Make sure the tube doesn't dip down into the water. Then you've got a 2nd tube coming out of the jug. This tube must dip down into the water, all the way down. This tube goes to the tank. The only other thing you need is to install a float switch. The switch should be connected to the air pump inbetween the pump and the power source (I'd fashion the switch to terminate in a plug maybe, so you can just plug it into the wall then plug the pump to that. When the float switch activates, it turns on the air pump and that pressurizes the jug. Water is then forced out through the tube that dips into the water and exits to the aquarium.

hillbilly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine Depot sells those auto top off kits. They call them "Single Tank Liquid Replenisher". LOL! Contains an onboard air pressure activated electrical switch that opens a solenoid valve when water levels drops 1" and closes when it rises to original level. Can replenish up to 80gpd they say. Looks cool.

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nikon,
I've put together a couple of DIY top-offs like Hwarang described. Very easy to do. And for the most part, pretty reliable. You should be able to put one together for ~$20-$40 depending on what parts you use. I can put together a quick DIY tutorial after this weekend if you're interested.

Arlan

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, Im in on that tutorial too! Hook it up, G! Im in the same boat as nikon, there!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are one gallon watering jugs made for certain reptiles that are essentially a plastic, screw-topped jar with an airline valve neatly fitted into the bottom. It is adjustable, and is the "barbed" ended metal fitting that you place a length of airline tubing into.

I've made dozens of similar setups with plastic milk jugs to drip acclimate fish - just drill the opening (be neat about it, will ya?), put some silly-cone around the opening, fit the valve, let her dry and let 'er rip! You'll have to adjust the drip rate, and if you get a very high evaporation rate (as I expect anyone around Reno/Carson probably does) then keep an eye on it so it doesn't run dry.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: