• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

SeaSydney

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I have one of these babies coming this week :D. I had a custom sealife 32 watt smart light and wanted to add more light to the stock light in the cube. However the 32 watt bulb is a little long and would require that it be turned diagonally. This would not allow me to have both lights in the tank. So my question is, can anyone tell me if the ballast fron the custom sealife 32 watt smart light kit would run the 24 watt bulbs without problems?. Thank you very much for your help.

SeaSydney :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh? I fit mine in there. It's snug, but it fits without having to turn it at an angle. Stuff it in there, it'll fit. The bonus is that by keeping it straight you can keep the 24w bulb they put in there. You might have to move the ballast tho.

SeaSydney

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Hwarang, I was under the impression that it was too long. Well now that I know that, the cube will diffinately have both bulbs in there. I will also be ordering some fans today.

Thank again for the info
Seasydney

J-bird

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a tip. You may want to swap the positions of the two lights. What i mean is that you'll probably want the 32W in front of the 24W so it's closer to the front of the tank, and the 24W is closer to the back. My thinking is that more livestock will be toward the middle/middle-back of the tank, and will benefit more ligth directly overhead. If the 32W is mor toward the rear of the tank, a lot of the light is throws down will be wasted.

Just my $.02.

SeaSydney

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks J-bird, your $0.02 could translate into more than just cents to me.
I appreciate all the help.
SeaSydney

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True true. I think you'll want to consider the shape of your LR "landscaping" as well. The way I have mine, I want to put the big light in front.

SeaSydney

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's right the Cube has landed - I love it. I will get to work right away.
Again thanks for all the help and i'm sure i'll be back for more advice.

SeaSydney

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posting pix on this site is easy breezy, thanks to the gracious admins that have set aside server space for storing images.

If you know how to upload a photo to the web and post it with the IMG or URL buttons above, you can do that.

If you don't have access to server space or aren't familiar with how that all works, it's easy to upload a photo. Click reply and see down at the bottom where there are two input boxes? One for file name and one for file comment (caption). Just click the browse button and locate the picture on your hard drive. Then enter a caption. Then click "add attachment" ... you can still comment on the photo or put more text in the post before hitting submit.

Yay!

SeaSydney

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm back from a long wekend. Thanks for the tip on posting photos hwarang. Well I got the extra light in and placed the 32 watt in the front as advised. the only concern is that, after I replaced the slash guard it was touching the bulb slightly. Is that a going to be a problem and if so how can I fix that? For anyone who has this configuration (32 watt in the front and 24 watt in the back) plaese feel to comment.

Thanks in advance
SeaSydney

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it hasn't been a problem for me, but i do check on it every now and then just to make certain it's ok

SeaSydney

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks hwarang for the quick reply. I'll probably leave it open anyway so there is better air circulation around the bulbs. I guess I will keep the water level just above where the black upper trim begins and clean the bulbs at least once per week.

Thank again

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hwarang lives on here thats why such a quick reply... :lol: j/k Hwarang... my MH's arrive tomorrow..dont think ill have any problem with concerns in the lighting dept... :D SAVE UDAY!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I browse the internet pretty much incessantly all day, usually in quick peeks while my Illustrator or Photoshop is chewing on something.

:)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lbonser, here is my hood with mods:

hoodmods.jpg

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like the moonlight deal..you said Petco right...i have blue ropelights behind my tank now...i leave them on all night...really seems to simulate the moon though...So Cool...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. Here's a link so you can see what they look like. The petco by my place has them in stock pretty much all the time. Keep an eye on the LED's tho ... on the shelf they have all colors mixed in and the package isn't marked well. I almost bought a package containing only red.

http://www.petco.com/product_info.asp?s ... pt_id=%2D2

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: