• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

aquariareview

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the new nano cube in my office.

9.7 gal
10lbs of semi cured live rock
1 inch of live sand from my big reef tank

I took out all of the foam and junk in the filter chambers.
I placed one bag each of Chemi-Pure* charcoal resin blend, Sea-Chem Purigen* and 1 sheet of polyfilter in the chamber with the pump.
I plan to do a 2 gal a week water change. but during the break in period I am doing a 5 gal a week change

Watch this post for more pics as it develops

nano.jpg

Day 1
I hung a prizm skimmer on the front glass to help the rock cure a little quicker.

2weeks.jpg

Day 10
I have added:
an unknown red Macroalgae.
1 more inch of live sand
3 red leg hermits

3weeks.jpg

Day 17
Took off the skimmer
I have added:
A Firefish
2 Shaving Brush Plants (Penicillus sp.)
I took a couple of small pieces of rock to put in my reef and get some Zoos moved onto.

skimmermod.jpg

I have made a 8 inch wide cut in the back of the hood so I could hang a sea clear 100 skimmer.

5weeks.jpg

5 Weeks

8weeks.jpg

8 Weeks
I have added some Zoos, Star Polyps, pulsing Xenia, Feather Duster And a Hairy Mushroom. I removed the firefish and put in a watchman and a pistol shrimp.

4months.jpg

4 Months

6%20month.jpg

6 Months
I have added a blastamosa, a few mushrooms and a small monti frag (a test). also added a algea blenny that keeps the rock very clean.

All Is well. this has turned out to be a showy little tank.

My kudos to JBJ for making this little tank available.

*Chemi-Pure, A Carbon- Resin blend. The resin produces negatively charged ions, while removing excess acids and ammonia. The carbon is designed to absorb contaminants up to 50% of its total weight. In a tank this small it will remain active for 4-6 months. about $6 LFS.

Poly-Filter is a chem filter pad that does a pretty good job at phosphate and heavy metals removal.

Sea-Chem Purigen is a macro-porous synthetic polymer that removes proteins, nitrite and nitrate, ammonia and a broad spectrum of organics at a rate and capacity that exceeds all others by over 500%. It significantly raises redox and polishes water clarity. About $6

Purigen can be regenerated by soaking in a bleach overnight.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love pictorial chronologies :)

Was your tank fully cycled already at Day 17? I know some tanks cycle pretty quickly, but most take longer then 2 weeks.

Were you planning on going skimmerless now, or is there a way to add it to the tank. When I had my nano, I tried going skimmerless thinking I could do lots of water changes (since the tank is so small) but the tank never did as well after I took the skimmer off.

BTW, what lights are you running? And who manufacturers your tank? Sorry for all the questions ;)

aquariareview

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sand is very live. from my 220 gal reef system and the rock has been in my sump for about 2 months.

Tank is a JBJ NANO. You can get them online at Drs Foster & Smith $99.00 It comes with a 28 watt 50/50 PC built into a great reflector in the hood and a 3 chamber filter in the back with a little mod it runs great.

As to the skimmer issue: I intend to build a small skimmer that sits behind the system but I dont think I will live or die by it. My water will come from my large system and will be changed at the rate of 2 gal a week.

Dewman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had been wanting to add a cople of Penicillus sp. paint brush (shaving brush).
Did you get those at Live Aquaria?
They seem to be the only place I can find any. They want an arm and a leg for them.
The Tank looks great... good luck skimmerless. I am trying the same thing due to lack of space.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nathan,
Great looking tank so far!

How do you plan on adding a skimmer? I assume you're going to drill some holes in that back section?

aquariareview

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in a area with 4 great LFS's. So I bought it at a Local store.
as to the skimmer issue i am going to lay a a power head in the back and go up thru a hole in the top (hood ) and over thru a small skimmer that I am building (will post when done) then the return will come back thru the top and into the back chambers.

The design of the skimmer is venturi with 2 pumps one that moves water thru the skimmer and a second one that moves water out of the reaction chamber, back into the chamber and mixing large amounts of air into it in the process.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nathan,
I'm sure lots of folks would appreciate seeing pics of how you plumb your skimmer, and the skimmer itself.

bdelaney

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been seeing lot's of these new nano-cube setups lately. Yours looks very nice. It's very interesting to see how everyone does something a little different to try and improve them. Please do post details on your skimmer design when you get it worked out.

aquariareview

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a time saver I bought a sea clear 100 skimmer. I have cut a 8in wide vent in the back of the hood and hung the skimmer in the back with a little cutting in the back chamber braces it fit right in.

This will be a very skimmed tank

Chronicles

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goodluck w/ the shaving brushes! I had one that all the needles just fell off of when I tried to remove it from the tank, not sure if it was semi-dead when I bought it, it was only in the tank for 2 days. Still finding needles all over!

Chronicles

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I forgot, nice tank, I use purigen and it's just a better form of hypersorb. I don't see the sense of running both.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank! How's that skimmer working out? It's not over-skimmed is it? Any problems with the cut in the hood? I'm contemplating cutting my hood to accommodate my HOB remora.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you dreamt that. I don't really want to put a fuge back there because I'd have to find a way to light it. And the hood is full up of stuff. No more room up in there.

I'm working on this, though:
http://www.website-x.com/images/1010/cabinetplan.gif

It'll hold two 10g AGA tanks and the bottom one will be approximately 7g sump

Juck

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool design.

Lighting a fuge in the Nano can be done easily from the rear. The black plastic on the back of the tank is just like black insulating tape,,,, cut out an outline with a box-cutter and it peels right off.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the space in the URL that's breaking your UBB Code. If you change it to the proper space character code (%20), it'll work.

6%20month.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: