• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

JasonRP

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a JBJ Nano Cube, and I am very excited to get this thing up and running. I purchased the cube after seeing it in operation at my LFS. The place where I bought it claimed the setup was completely stock. While reading up on the forums and newsgroups to see what other people are saying about this tank, I have learned that a lot of people seem disenchanted with the built-in filtration system. I'd like to try to get the tank to run in the stock configuration if I can.. I am a minimalist kinda guy that believes as long as I have decent light and at least one reasonably effective filter, the tank will do fine. I believe that the Nano Cube's stock 50/50 pc lamp is perfect for what I want to put in the tank- a couple of false perculas, lots of live rock, some mushroom corals, blue-legged hermits, etc. But for the filter, I'm not sure..

Before I go any further, let me just say that I am NOT new to Nano reef tanks. I have twice succesfully run an Eclipse 3 gallon tank nano, both times as a FOWLR tank (also hermit crabs and snails), as this seems the smartest way to be able to run this tank using what came in the box. I kept the bio-wheel in the whole time, and used the stock filter cartridges too. Also helping filter the tank was a 1" layer of live aragonite sand, and 5.5 pounds of live rock. A one gallon water change every week is all that it took to keep this tank thriving with pink and red algae on the rock. I used a timer for a 10 hour light cycle (again using stock lighting), a 25 watt heater, and a small 'Zoo-Med' powerhead for extra circulation. For what I kept in the tank, it was always bullet-proof stable.

So, probably the most important thing I learned is that, as long as you have A filter and SOME light, you can have a successful, stable tank for FOWLR application. I first ran the tank for 6 months before I had to break it down to move- not one fish loss. Next I set the tank up for 1 full year. The only loss this time was a blue-legged hermit, which was eaten by a bristle worm, so I don't count that against the tank. If I can, I'd like to try the same approach to this JBJ Nano tank.. I'm not knocking the folks that like to supe up their tanks with powerful lamps and hi-tech filter guts.. I just don't feel like re-inventing the wheel for this tank to run.

OK, that being said, are any folks out there using the stock filter setup? It has the 4 chambers with an intake at the top of one (it appears the lower intake is blocked off), and the power head output is at the opposite side at the top. The tanks sump partitions have through vents in the sides for water to flow between chambers.. Also, the tank came with a bunch of sponges, a bag of charcoal, a bag of ceramic doodads, and 6 bioballs. I test ran the tank (empty, just water) with no media at all in the tank just to see how much circulation I was getting in the back of the tank.. It didn't look like much movement in the middle chambers, but water MUST be flowing across the whole back, since the intake and output are on opposite sides.

If I put the media in, will the flow be enhanced at all as it passes through/around the media, so that with the sponges in place, the water would follow a more defined path? What can be done with this filter to ensure that it is operating at optimum? Setup as the manufacturer recommends, would it be an adequate, effective filter? Would a small, simple modification make it MUCH more effective? As I said before, I'm a big fan of using what I got with the tank, so I am really not wanting to do any major (or minor) surgury to the filter guts if I can avoid it.

What do you guys think?
Jason

bdelaney

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I glued an acrylic piece against the second partition. I did this so that the wet/dry filter was actually partially dry. If you are not willing to do this, then I would suggest getting rid of the bio-balls completely and using that filter compartment for some other kind of media. Use whatever you like, but I don't see the sense in wasting that space for a handful of bio-balls to float around. You can even put a few small pieces of live rock in there.

I don't think any modifications are really necessary for this tank. It's just our insatiable urge to tinker with things that makes us do it. With plenty of live rock, you should have enough filtration regardless of what's in the back compartment.

JasonRP

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bdelaney":9xk2bwpw said:
Well, I glued an acrylic piece against the second partition. I did this so that the wet/dry filter was actually partially dry.

Do you have a picture of this? Or a diagram you can post? Also, I read about other folks talking about the "spraybar" that came with their tank? I'm not positive, but I don't think I got one with mine.

When I test filled my tank, I filled up just a few inches of water in the main tank to see if the bottom intake was open (it appears to be molded closed from the factory.) I noticed that just a teeny bit of water creeped into the back area of the tank. Anyone else do/notice this? I don't know how important that is, but maybe I should silicon the bottom of the back divider before getting started? Or am I just sweating the small stuff here?

Jason

bdelaney

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is some info on the modifications I did:
http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=36453

The tank does not come with a spraybar. I have seen people modiify the pump outlet to fit some kind of spraybar that you can buy. I have not done this.

I did notice a small leak in the back filter partition as well. I used a little silicone to seal it, but I don't know if it is entirely necessary.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bah, just yank all that stuff and be done with it!

Honestly I think your bioload could be handled with just live rock, and yanking those sponges etc. out will save you headaches in the long run. Just my opinion. It sounds like you know what you're doing already.

JasonRP

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the excellent info guys!

I double checked at the LFS today: When they weren't looking I opened the lid and peeked into their filter area.. They are running the tank completely stock. They also had a good bit of Tonga branch rock in the main tank, and about an inch or so of live sand. They have it stocked with a very small Hippo Tang, an equally small (about an inch long) percula, two shrimps (I think one is a scarlet- dark red with white spots, the other was red on it's back but see-through everywhere else), and some kind of goby. Lots of soft corals, too. It looked like it was fairly heavily stocked, but I guess if it looked like it was gonna crash, they could just put all the animals in other tanks..

I'm quite excited to be using a tank of this size!! After running my 3 gallon, this tank seems HUGE! :) I was always very proud (read stubborn) that I made a thriving tank that was 3 gallons, now I am excited about what I can put into a tank that is much larger!

For now I think I'm just gonna fire this tank up with the stock filter guts, and as time goes on, I might end up yanking the sponges and putting more LR back there.. As for the little output that some people are routing to pour water onto the BioBalls, are you talking about fitting a small piece of airline tubing into the center of the stock outlet? On the output in the bulkhead, it looks like the flow is directed out of it and down, but there is a center output in the middle, too. I figured this center outlet was to put a swirling motion on the water surface.. Is this the one you used?

Jason

CAT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just set up one of these guys as well. I used just 2 of the sponges - I don't really want to try to get my hands down too far to pull them out to clean them - not much space back there.

I left the ceramic rings in but I'm not using the carbon, I like 'Purigen' by Seachem much better because it's supposed to remove organics as well.

I e-mailed the company to find out about the lower 'vent' on the left and was told it doesn't do anything... so not sure why it's there.

I also told them I didn't like the fact that they hadn't put the upper intake high enough to skim the surface water off. Since there was a definite scum floating on the surface of the tanks I saw set up, I decided to cut a couple of the slots higher so they're above the water line and it looks like the scum that was building up in my tank is gone. I think this is a good, easy and important mod - much better gas exchange that way.

Good luck and have fun

JasonRP

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As soon as I can find one, I plan to buy a Lee's Protein skimmer.. I think it will fit in one of the back sections without any modification.. I'll keep you guys posted..

Jason

Ticeman

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just set up the JBJ 12 gallon and was wondering if adding a air stone or some kind of air source in the back chamber would be beneficial? The third chamber with the bio balls might be a good place. :?:
I have had everything up and going for 3 days and I'm not sure if there is good gas exchange in this tank. With the water level were it needs to be there is not much water movement on the surface.
Would adding another power head in the main tank be a good idea?

Thanks,

Tice

JasonRP

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm.. I wonder if adding an airstone that would send bubbles up and around the bioballs would make this more of a wet/dry filter?

I was told at my LFS (who sold me my nanocube, and they are running one as well on their counter) that JBJ is working on an improved version of the nanocube that comes with a protein skimmer?(!) Very interesting indeed!

Jason

Pisces1

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so far i've taken everything out except for one sponge, my water was getting a little cloudy so i decided to leave one in and see what happens, so far so good. i noticed without all the crap back there the water seems to flow a little bit better. it's been about a month and a half with no algae blooms (not much) or any other significant problems.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, Ill second Cat on the Purigen! Saved my life! Definitely better than bio-balls or whatever; instead of working to make whats toxic less toxic, just take it right the hell out!

I personally think that sponges are a blessing and a curse; they filter out the fine stuff, but if it accumulates, it can mean big ammonia spikes! The other thing about spnges is they act as part of your bio filter, right? Well, I think the benefit is outweighed by the crap thats getting stuck in the sponge! My soution: I would take th e sponge out and clean it, prefferably in RO water or something that wont kill the bacteria. If you cant do RO, just go ahead and use tap; forget the bacterias! A single 100M pouch of Purigen will leave you with the cleanest water ever! Alos, Purigen DOES remove organics! Mostly the finer stuff though; not really an excuse for no skimmer, but definitely a boon if you dant have a skimmer! I know because after I dropped in the pouch in my filter's "sump", less scum started showing up in my skimmer! And doesnt reduce the trace elements either; it basically leaves everything alone except the bad stuff.
Hope that helps!

nanite

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JasonRP":1128ejfm said:
bdelaney":1128ejfm said:
Well, I glued an acrylic piece against the second partition. I did this so that the wet/dry filter was actually partially dry.

Do you have a picture of this? Or a diagram you can post? Also, I read about other folks talking about the "spraybar" that came with their tank? I'm not positive, but I don't think I got one with mine.

When I test filled my tank, I filled up just a few inches of water in the main tank to see if the bottom intake was open (it appears to be molded closed from the factory.) I noticed that just a teeny bit of water creeped into the back area of the tank. Anyone else do/notice this? I don't know how important that is, but maybe I should silicon the bottom of the back divider before getting started? Or am I just sweating the small stuff here?

Jason

Hi...

Well i'm looking at getting a jebo 70 litre with inbuilt wet and dry trickle filter, this one has the spraybar also, but i'll be posting some pictures of it when i eventually get it. money's a bit tight at the moment.

regards from Nanite

pyrrhus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the newer cubes come with a disclaimer saying to remove the bioballs and the ceramic blocks. they are for fresh water use only. or so ive been told. personally i hate the things, they encourage so many idiots to kill animals they have no clue about. i cant even begin to count all the posts that start "i have a nano-cube thats been running for a week and my corals and fish..."

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: