• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

SaltyMist

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 12 gallon Eclipse 12 unit in my home office, that is being used a general purpose salt tank, right now it houses 1 damsel, 1 to 1 1/2 inches of livesand, a snail and a green serpent star along with about 15 to 18 lbs of liverock. It has the built in filter, (which in my opinion doesnt allow me many options of media, but hey, it's got that pad that catches floating debris, and allows me enough space to insert a fluval carbon pad underneath it for extra water clearing properties), I've also got two of the smallest rio power heads, a 50 watt heater and a weird sort of skimmer that just skims the waters surface to get any floating debris, (or oil slicks - at least thats what they look like to me) off of the surface of the water.

Anyway, I'd like to setup another 12 gallon or so in my living room and do a true nano tank, but whats the best one to get?

What equipment will I need for it for filtration, water circulation etc. I know I need a heater, and the lights, but depending on what people suggest, please tell me if I need another powerhead in the tank.

Personally I hate cluttered looking tanks, and with my tank with 2 powerheads, heater and water skimmer, it's looking pretty cluttered.

Also, I've read about the LBJ, but no stores near me carry the LBJ lineup, do petsmarts, or petco's carry the LBJ lineup of nano tanks?

I'd like to find a tank that has most of what I need already built into it and hidden (like those tanks that I see that have everything inside the tank but behind the back divider, but in smaller scale, say 12 gallons or so.

Thanks for your time,

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 12g JBJ nanocube is the one you want, IRL.

The price is right, especially considering that the filters and lights are included. The construction is also sturdy, except for the ballast, which many have had problems with. To their credit, JBJ's customer service has been cool about it.

Also, this forum is rife with info about the nanocube, it's all the rage now. I think if you can figure out where to get one (or are willing to pay the shipping to order it online...), then you'll be much happier. This is a sweet little tank.

Seriuosly, it sounds like you'd be happy with one and if you can solve the dilemma of how to acquire it, then I think that would be the toughest hurdle - it would make quesitons about equipemnt or how to keep it cluttered basically moot.

-good luck!
-me

SaltyMist

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Im going to work now (25 miles away) so I'll look in the phonebook for fish stores, pet stores etc and see if any of them have it, or can get it for a reasonable cost.

From what I've been reading about them, I think your right and the JBJ (thanks for the correction) will probably fit what Im looking for.

Best regards,
SM

SaltyMist

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, found a store somewhat near my work, where they had the JBJ 12 nano cube on sale for $89.00 so I picked one up and Im taking hourly pictures right now to see how long it takes to clear up since it's a major sand storm since I did thing the opposite of what I ususally do.

This time I picked up some cultured ceramic rings from the pet store, and replaced the ones that come with the tank with those, then I realized that they would be out of water until I could setup up the liverock, so I put in 5 gallons of real ocean so they would be submerged, then I put in the liverock (talk about deceiving, didnt realize the two pieces that i picked up were quite as large as they are, ones about 10.5lbs alone) Then I poured in the live sand (4lbs) Then added the remaining water to top it all off.

Well, needless to say, it is a major sand storm right now.

And Im glad I didnt use my self mixed saltwater in my existing tank (though I would have checked it first) because 4 gallons of that, along with 5 gallons of real ocean, and my sg is pegging the hydrometer at 1.30, but Im going to wait 30 minutes for the heater to equalize, then turn on the heater, and wait for it to get up to temp, then measure the sg again and start doing a water change with just plain old distilled water.

But on a positive note, I came home to find my existing 12 gallon eclipse tank absolutely sparkling clear, when I left this morning it was slightly cloudy (when looking through the side of the tank), now its absolutely crystal clear no matter which way you look at it.

Woohoo.

SaltyMist

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah, Im also going to pickup another one tommorrow of Saturday.

I put this one one one side of my living room sofa and it's gonna look really sweet there, so Im thinking to balance it out with another one on the other end of the sofa.

Now all I have to do is convince my S.O that it's worthwhile and will look great and that *obviously* we need to balance it out with another one. But first I've got to find matching stands to support both of them since the one I just got today is sitting on a 3 drawer filing cabinet that has the same wood tone as our TV stand, DVD wall unit and bar stools. (All a natural pine). :(

Damn, Im hooked again!

My last experience ended up having 1 15 gal octopus tank, 1 55 gallon reef tank, 1 75 gallon chichlid tank, and 1 100 gallon FO tank, all in a tiny apartment. I just hope I dont get that carried away again.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: