• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

sslarison

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im setting up another small reef to stick all of the extra frags and critters coming from my main tank. Does it need a skimmer? Ive heard yes and no. Please shed some light on this for me. I have an old Sea clone but the piping was leaking at the joints and I dont want to spend 100 dollars for a new skimmer on this if I dont have to. Help me out.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sslarison":p8yuw7vc said:
Im setting up another small reef to stick all of the extra frags and critters coming from my main tank. Does it need a skimmer? Ive heard yes and no. Please shed some light on this for me. I have an old Sea clone but the piping was leaking at the joints and I dont want to spend 100 dollars for a new skimmer on this if I dont have to. Help me out.

Oh boy! a Seaclone :lol: ...all you have to do is replace or add the proper size 0-ring or rings to the joint or joints. I had to do it with mine. I took my Seaclone with ne to the hardware to find one that fit properly. The one that came with it was to small. Whats up with that?

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need a skimmer. For nanos, water changes are simple enough and will do a great job at exporting nutrients if you keep up a regular schedule. A skimmer doesn't hurt, mind you, but it's not necessary. If you can patch up the seaclone, it'd be nice to use it on your 10 gallon.

I'm gonna move this over to the nano forum where people have more experience running tanks this size :)

investigator1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len I am going to have to disagree with you. I have a 10 gallon. One thing that I have noticed in nano tanks is that anything that happens.......happens extreme! So with that in mind think about nutrients and dissolved organics. There was a article I think in Advanced Aquarist that proved that water changes do very little to reduce dissolved organics and nutrients in the long run.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think a hang on skimmer would be all you need to run the whole darn thing. NO need for powerhead or air pumps or anything. (i know people hardly use air pumps in reefs)

shr00m

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
who uses them peried? other than to aerate mixing saltwater (newly mixed) .... in the reef aquarium air pumps cause salt creep.

reefann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know brandon used a air pump on his reef vase because and powerhead would take up the whole thing.
I agree with LEN, it sounds to me like you are not planning on stocking this tank heavily with fish. Would a skimmer give you more time when you skip water changes, yes. Do you NEED one, NO!
I think simple water changes would do what you need.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: