• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Meloco14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to think about what snails/hermits to get for my new cube. I don't want to overdo it, but I also want to make sure they can get the job done at keeping algae down. I was thinking like 3 nassarius, 1 turbo, 3 margaritas, 1 or 2 scarlet reef hermits, and maybe a couple micro hermits and strombus snails from my other tank. Luckily if I have too many or need more little workers I can substitute with my other tank. Anyway, anyone have any ideas?

Juck

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good to me,,, I have 10 Astrea snails and 5 or 6 zebra hermits in mine and everyone seems happy,, though the zebras will take out a snail now and then to get a new shell. I have one little rock that is riddled with bristleworms as well,, dozens of them,, I think they help a lot,, my sand is spotless.

nanocat

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have around 10 cerith, 2 turbo, and 1 margarita. No hermits. I did have an Astrea but the darn snail got pretty big and started knocking stuff over, so it's in another tanks now. No algae.

cain

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three Astrea snails, 5 bubmble bee snails, 3 scarlet hermits, 2 tiny cleaner shrimp and 2 tiny peppermint shrimp.

dallast1

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i tried all the hermits and snails you could find when i had my hair algae problem -- which lasted a year! don't know if it was the every other day 1/2 gal. water changes or the turbo snail, but i have no doubt that the turbo was voracious and scoured all the rock clean.
a bit of a bulldozer in my 6 gal. eclipse, but in the end, a lifesaver!

Meloco14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i had a bad hair algae problem in my 40 gallon, got a couple turbos and they knocked most of it out. I will probably get one for my nano, the ones at my lfs are pretty big so I'll probably only have one, then a couple other varieties

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: