• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

mk3gtivr6

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a 16 gallon bowfront and I'm Having trouble making my mind up on how much and who's rock to use. I have bought so called "Live Rock" from my LFS and it seems pretty dead to me. I was really looking for a good lead to pick up some good quality rock. Any help would appreciated thanks in advance... T.J.

lex

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard really good things about liverocks.com, and I think most recomend between 1 and 1.75lbs/gallon, so probably aboy 25lbs. It depends on how much open space you want.

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TJ,
Your best bet is to buy rock from a local reefer. Most LFS live rock isn't worth buying. If you must order online, HarborAquatics is one of the best places to get some.

Arlan

mk3gtivr6

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UnderGrad":3p99uoh8 said:
HarborAquatics is one of the best places to get some.

This seems to be what I'm hearing. Dose anyone have first hand knowledge of their product? Just looking for some imput. Thanks for all the info :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many also like TBS live rock, but watch out for the mantis shrimp in TBS rock (in fact, that's how I acquired my mantis).

Also, the quality is ok, but not outstanding, from marinedepotlive. They even have sales and specials a lot of the time.

If I were to do it again in a tank about 30g or so ... I would definitely purchase crappy or base quality LR and then spring for show quality LR chunks on top of it.

tazdevil

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll give a vote for Harbor, my LR was very alive, although I did have a few Aiptasia to deal with. But the amount of pods etc. more than made it worth it. Very small cycle, and shorter as well.

mk3gtivr6

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taz any pictures of you setup? I still think Harbor is the way to go, I think its worth the extra money.

I just missed a local reefer who had 75 lbs of LR for $1.00 per lb. I'm not in too much of a rush But my wife is, this could be a good thing. :twisted:

tazdevil

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t ... highlight=

All except the mushroom rock from Harbor Aquatics. What does not show in that pic (2days after receiving rock) is the HH macro algae's on it, numerous amphipods- some that were about 1/4 inch long, equally as numerous about 2wks after receiving rock various snails, and featherdusters that are mid-size. Haven't seen any mantis shrimp (yet) although with any LR, its alqays a possibility.

mk3gtivr6

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just came from my LFS and they had some nice LR, the best I have ever seen at the store. Best deal is 8.25 per # did seem too bad. It isnt fiji they said its TBS rock. Whos knows really nice stuff, I might go back and pick some up still not sure.

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$8.25 a pound!?!? Wow! Where do you live... BFE? Unless you really have to have some now, wait until a local reefer is selling some.

mk3gtivr6

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just sat dow from working to set my 16 bow up. I pick up some rock from a local, I got 15#'s for 25 bucks. Not too bad and easy on the wallet, I think I still need 5 or so more pounds to complete it I will post some pics as soon as I am done.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: