• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Fozza

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this is my first time here so would like to say hello to everyone.

I'm thinking of setting up a 10g nano reef, but just need a little more info before I start.

I have 40lbs of Live Rock available, how much of it can I use for the 10gal? (I'd like to use as much as I possibly can, bare in mind I also have 20lbs of Live Sand that I will be placing in the tank) (I like a good amount of caves :), so the more rock I can use the better )

I have a skilter 400 for skimming and a little water movement (filter media will be removed), 201 and 301 powerhead, enough water movement?

Lighting - 2x 50/50 Sun Reef 6k 'K Tubes, should I add/change?

The type of corals I'd like to keep are mainly just mushrooms, polyps and a leather (that hopefully the clown will take to).

The only fish I'd like to keep are two I already have from a larger tank, a 4" Tomato Clown (just has great character, love the little guy), and a 4" Pink Spotted Goby. Will these be fine in a 10gal, or the both of them too much?

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reefs.org yo!

I guess the general rule of thumb being 2.5 lbs per gallon or so. That would put your rock at like 25 pounds ... but theoretically you can put in as much as you can fit. I've tried it both ways - having a tank crowded with rocks and having a lot of open area. *shrug* it's up to you. One caveat though, and this might be more important in a nano ... more rocks reduces the total water volume. Also noteworthy ... in a nano, you'll love it so much more if you stick to really small bits of rock, almost rubble rock sized. Not only is it easier to arrange in such a small space, but it also affords the visual impression of more volume in a small space (large rocks will make it look very crowded very quickly).

Your setup sounds good. I've never tried a skilter but I've heard a lot of gripes about them, so keep an eye on that. Also I usually prefer the 10k bulbs because they give off a whiter light.

Your leather might get too large for a nano and I personally wouldn't keep a clown in a nano, but that's just me. Also I definitely wouldn't put them both in, but again, that's just me. I almost always design my tanks with a purposely low bio-load. I think your pink spotted goby is a cooler fish anyhow. Isn't that a shrimp goby? Get him a pistol shrimp in there! Symbiosis is fair to some and whatnot.

Good luck and post some pix!
-me

Fozza

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I've decided to split the 40lbs into two 10 gal nano's, one will house 15lbs of LR, 20lbs of LS, the 4" Pink Spotted Goby and the mushrooms, polyps etc, the other will just be plain for the moment with the other 25lbs of LR I have with maybe a neon goby or two, just keeping the rock alive, till I get more cash (and unfortunately the store doesn't take LR in exchange for anything).

I'm interested in the pistol shrimp to go with the goby, I think that would be kind of fascinating to watch, but would a Pistol shrimp harm one of my other shrimps? (I currently have a coral banded shrimp and I also want to put in 2 peppermint shrimps to get rid of some nasty little aiptasia.)

The lighting will have to remain the 6k 'k lights, I dont have the cash to buy alot more items right now, so have to utilise what I currently have. I actually like the Skilter I have, works fairly well and its real easy to use.

I'm taking your advice and selling the tomato clown though and not bothering with the leather.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are a few species of pistol shrimps, i hear most are generally peaceful - but you'll want to check out individual species. not sure about your other crustaceans either. it's worth mentioning that territorial aggression is usually magnified in a smaller space. it tends to turn mildly cranky fish fully mean; it tends to turn mean fish into reefy terrors.

perhaps you can find a bulb only upgrade for the light ... they're not that expensive. i only mention it again because i think that the lighting is one of the areas you should not skimp on. there are many many ways to make a low cost or low maintenance setup, but even if you try some tricks with lighting, you can expect to incur some cost. oh well, try it with the current light and see how it goes.

good luck!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pistol shrimp you want is in the genus Alpheus. The most common symbiont is Alpheus randalli, but your specific goby might have a different symbiont species. You can't necessarily throw in any two and expect them to pair up.

I wouldn't expect the pistol and your other shrimp to get along, especially in such a small space.

tazdevil

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the coral banded would win the battle, hands down. They can be very aggressive given the proper circumstances (basically, any other shrimp living in the nano with it).

Meloco14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be more worried about the CB shrimp. They tend to be aggressive toward other shrimp, and in a 10g tank this will only be magnified. So if you already have him you might need to hold off on a pistol. Even the peppermints might be bullied by the CB, unless you were lucky and got a peaceful one...

Meloco14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha, I guess Taz got his post in while I was writing mine, I basically repeated what he said. Oh well

Fozza

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have the Coral Banded Shrimp, but I guess I could throw him in the second 10g which is just holding the 25lbs of LR.

I need the peppermints tho, aiptasia is taking over currently, I can cut off the bigger ones, but the small ones will need the shrimp to get rid off em. I'm just worried the pistol would smash the peppermints to bits.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
then only use one pep shrimp....one outta do the job in a small tank like that....you should have no problems keepin a percula or two in you ten gallons...they dont get too big...you might be able to get away with one tomato also like you want..others will tend to disagree...im not sure how big a leather coral gets but i dont think there will a problem in a ten gallon..prop it and sell pieces of it if necessary....FWIW...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a leather mushroom toadstool dealio in my nano. it fit allright, but i definitely thought it was too big. i like smaller elements in a nano - rock, specimenz, all that. the smaller shapes yield a visual impression of greater volume. larger shapes (like a big leather) appear dominating and huge.

also, the leather shaded a large area underneath it.

no more leather!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: