• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

tazdevil

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a 75 reef for years, and always wanting a tank in the bedroom, however lacking the space. I though about going with this nano as it would be in a corner of the bedroom, and like the idea of nosilicone seals to possibly fail in the future as it will be sitting on my nightstand. However, was wondering if this price is ridiculously high for whats included, and any recommendations on other equipment.

Model 12 Table Top Corner Pentagon Aquarium
Built-in wet/dry filter includes pre-filter sponge, bio-media, and powerhead. Also includes acrylic base and canopy with full spectrum compact fluorescent light fixture. Suitable for fresh or saltwater fish. Dimensions are 16"L x 16"W x 18.5"H. These models are excellent choices for the serious hobbyist with limited space and are suitable for fresh or saltwater fish.
Price: $301

From tenecor, here's a direct link to the page with the tank on it:

http://www.tenecor.com/tabletop.php

Any help is appreciated.

Meloco14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of people in the nano forum have the jbj nanocube and a few have an eclipse system, you might want to ask them about those two choices before spending an extra $200 on this one...

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd agree Taz,

Many people are using and commenting on the nanocube. There have been both successes and failures with supplied equipment, as any retail unit, but the one at my LFS seems to work fine from day to day. They too are using the stock lighting and keeping brain corals alive no problem.

A critical aspect in nano reef design is constructing the sytem with as few parts as possible, less life-threatening variability. You almost can't beat that price for the Nanocube, a $100 complete marine aquarium is rather underheard of until lately. I'd buy one. All I would do is switch out the powerhead for a larger one.

Your fish bioload dictates the need for skimming. Can you live with a 1 clown/1 goby (low bioload for ex.) multi coral setup? If so, there's no need for a skimmer.

If you had a large moray in mind ( ;) Matt ) I'd suggest removing some protein
You'll have access to tons of frags from your other reef
Brandon M.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nanocube Nanocube Nanocube Nanocube Nanocube Nanocube
~~ I'm in love with mine, I'm going to marry it some day ~~

Do it! The price is right. All filter equip built in. Excellent glass construction. Better shape than ugly pentagon. Cubical harmony.

Do it and ...
1. Rip out the old light and ballast (ballast is notoriously crappy in jbj nanocube). You can just barely squeeze in a 32w "smartlite" 50/50 upgrade

2. you definitely want an upgraded pump. MJ600 is ideal and a perfect (snug) fit.

3. Add a fan to the hood. There are pre cut vents and mounting brackets.

4. Have fun!

tazdevil

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for the replies. Fish bioload was either going to be a pair of percs or a royal gramma (gotta love the purple yellow combo's!). How bad is the salt creep on the nanocube (would i need a small tile platrform under to protect the furniture?)?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after about a month, i have very little. i must admit, i've been diligent in keeping the whole thing clean in every way, in addition to salt creep. maybe it's just that it's so small, it's easier to combat and not as much effort. either way, it's not a problem. there's a lip on the top frame that goes around the glass, it helps keep creep down.

there's a bit of splashback on the clear acrylic guard around the lights, so you'll have to clean that every so often.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no problem.

i demand pix of your aquarium when it's set up. ps something fishy has a nanocube in stock.

:)

tazdevil

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one know, currently constructing a 24 * 24 tile "shelf" to place on top of a nightstand to catch any woops's or other misshaps and protect the nightstands.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just fyi, tazdevil ... right now i only have an ugly um, box thing for my nanocube stand. it was a pedestal for an old GF's art sculpture. it's about 4 feet tall and like 22" wide (there's about 2" of space on each side left over after i set the nanocube on it).

to hide the ugly box (it wasn't like finished wood or anything, and it's all grimey) i draped two bedsheets over it in a perpendicular pattern (they cross where the cube sits; the blue one covers the sides and the white one underneath covers the front and back).

it's only a temporary measure until i find a good stand. but i haven't noticed any salt stains or weird drip action or anything.

i like your tile idea though.

ffs, i need a house so i can get a garage and make a shop. how cool would it be to make your own stand and make it look nice? it'd be super cool.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: