• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

LAgirlKath

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I started my 12 gallon nano a few weeks ago, and I'm just trying to get more information on maintaining the tank. I was wondering what additives (if any) you all use in your tanks. I'm currently using ReefBuilder, and I just wanted to poll around to see what other people might be putting into their tanks.

As always, thanks for any info!!
Kathy

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i prefer to get by on as few addatives as possible. i only add b-ionic for some calcium and some phytoplankton foodstuffs for the filter feeders.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kathy,
Welcome to reefs.org!

here's how I responded to a very similar question:
"OT, I'm afraid you've been given some misleading info regarding trace element levels by your LFS. My current method of replenishing trace elements is to do water changes--nothing more. There is absolutely no need to dose with trace elements if you're doing regular water changes; for me this is around once a week, maybe 5% of the water. It is very, very difficult to test for some of the elements, as well as time consuming. Also, some of these elements can actually be harmful if overdosed. I find it infinitely easier to mix up a small amount of water (even easier on a nano) and just change it, knowing that all the elements are in the correct proportions in the new water. If you want to spend time and money with additives and test kits, your LFS will love you for it

The one exception to this rule is Ca/Alk, especially in a tank containing stony corals. Calcium and alkalinity can be maintained a number of different ways: Kalk, 2 part additives, etc. All have their merits and you should look into them a bit before deciding to purchase. Personally, I prefer Kalk. Brandon uses a 2 part additive. Both will work fine.

It is worth it to buy high quality test kits for the necessities though. I use a digital pH monitor, refractometer for salinity, a digital thermometer from Radio Shack (calibrated to a lab grade therm.) and Salifert brand test kits for Ca and Alk. Most hydrometers are terribly inaccurate. If you can find someone with a refractometer that you can compare it to, it can't hurt."

I hope this helps,
Matt

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: