• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Meloco14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning a refugium for my nanocube, partly out of boredom, mainly to benefit the health of my corals. Only problem is, I've never set up a refugium, and furthermore I've never plumbed an external tank/sump/refugium into any of my tanks before. I have it pretty well planned out so far, I just wanted to run it by some people to find flaws and offer suggestions. Originally I planned on having the refugium and nanocube side by side, but then thinking about using two pumps or one pump and a continuous siphon seemed too complicated and too many chances for disaster. So I am now planning on building a wooden shelf above the cube and having the refugium up there. I would use a small PH to run water up to the fuge, and let it gravity feed back to the main tank. I obviously don't need a ton of flow, how many gph do you recommend going to the fuge? I was thinking of the smallest size mini or micro jet, and adjusting it by trial and error till I find a good flow. I figured on 1/2 inch tubing, since its the smallest standard size that's easy to find. I would have the PH in the sump area of the cube, and the return would come back to the sump, and through a hole drilled in the black divider to a duck bill return in the main tank. I would let the standard filtration in the cube continue as normal. For the fuge, I will use a medium size plastic reptile cage http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... 006+113494
They are cheap and easy to drill. I will get one of those clip on PC lights for it, either 7w or 13w. I plan on putting LS, a small pile of LR rubble, macro, some nass and cerith snails, and amphipods and copepods in the fuge. I think I mentioned everything, anyone see any problems or have some advice? TIA

ricky1414

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a plan. I would shoot for a flow equal to 10 times the volume of the refugium per hour. That should prevent any form of stagnation in the fuge. Good luck!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: