• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

LAgirlKath

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(I posted this in the New Reefkeeper's Forum, so I apologize if this is a double read for some of you).

Hi All,

I have been cycling my 12 gallon for about 12 days now. My water conditions are as follows:

pH = 8.0
Ammonia = 0 (starts off yellow, but then in seconds, the test tube turns clear)
Nitrites = 0
Nitrates = 5
dKh = 9
Temperature = 79 degrees
Salinity = 1.024

I have been adding reef builder to my tank and noticing that the live rock has gotten a ton of color on it. It was usually reds, purples, pinks, and whites, but lately, it has started developing patches of light lime green. Is this the start of bad algae? If so, what should I do to take care of it? I plan on doing a water change tonite, but do my tank parameters allow for me to add some sort of clean-up crew that will eat algae? Oh, I almost forgot, I do have 4 hermit crabs in there also. Please advise.

Thanks!
Kathy

crod75

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Kathy,

I am new to this forum, but I have kept a fairly successful 20 gallon reef tank for several years. I also set up a new 12 gallon reef tank about 6 months ago and in my experience after using a two-part calcium and buffer additive on a regular basis, a lime-green colored coralline algae(which I think has a rather attractive appearance) as well as the usual pink, purple, and reds began to cover the base rock I had placed in the tank. I definitely think this could be what is growing on your live rock. However, since your tank sounds like it has been set up recently it is still possible it may be an undesirable microalgae. Your water parameters look fine, but you also might want to check the phosphate level. Phosphates are one of the most important limiting nutrients when it comes to microalgae growth. At this point I would not worry about doing any large water changes unless your phosphate level turns out to be elevated or the algae you are describing suddenly starts taking over your tank (undesirable microalgae usually grow quite quickly while coralline algae is relatively slow growing). The hermit crabs are definitely a good idea when first setting up a tank and should help to control microalgae, although I find Astrea snails to be more effective.

I hope this helps and good luck,

Craig

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what you describe sounds like coraline algae, which is ok in my book. as crod75 said, keep an eye on your phosphates.

ps is it a 12g JBJ nanocube?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: