• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I'd like to set up my own food culture for my shrooms and softies etc ... but I don't know much about this. Anybody got some links for me?

a) What's a good thing to culture?
b) It's possible to make "green water" with a handful of grass clippings in a jar set out in the sun ... would this work for my reef tank?
c) got a link to resources?

Thanks a lot for your help. I just need something to feed my shrooms that they'll benefit from and is easy to culture (like a green water setup in a 2L bottle or something)

A

Anonymous

ps mainly i'd like to know which type of food culture my shrooms and soft corals would appreciate the most.

thanks!

A

Anonymous

Ok sorry for the retardo thread. I found the link and info about setting it up, but now I'd like to know WHICH food is best to culture in here for my reef (which will my soft corals and shrooms most enjoy eating) ... I have shrroms, xenia, GSP, blastomussa, hammer coral ... etc.

Here is the link, and they mention multiple types of food to culture:
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-07/ds/

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably only marine phytoplankton would benefit for all across the board, but Hammer Coral? You meant the hard coral hammer head? These need to be fed pieces of shrimps and such. Small pieces of fish/shrimp would also benefit shrooms.

For phyto culture, you can do a search.

On other hand, Many of what you mentioned can do well without any intentional feeding at all.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I know the hammer doesn't want phyto, I just sorta mentioned it because it was in there. *shrug* ... I after my day long search and stuff I think I've decided not to do any food cultures ... as you said they can do well w/o it ...

Thx!

birdman204

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your corals and corallimorphs, a meatier food would better suffice. Phytoplankton by itself is rejected by most SPS corals. Many LPS corals ingest it, and any other "food web" creatures will benefit, that is to say, the corals , that eat the mysis, that eat the phyto. Good article there. Another thing to look into is a geosapper device. I think reefkeeping magazine had it in an articel 10 of 2003, It was about constant live food sources. Very cool stuff, I ordered the geosapper this week as a matter of fact.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: