• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

reefann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I just wanted to know if the plan for my school project sounds like it will work.
I am going to get two 5 or 10 gallon tanks, depending on price difference. Build one with a 6 inch DSB and one with a plenum. Then get a container to hold the other ten gallons(control) I will then add a equal amount of house hold cleaning ammonia to each tank. This ammount will probably be 1-3 Millileter every one or two days. Top off water will be added to each tank for Evap every day or two. I will use no lighting at all. I will test the ammonia days I dont add any.Thats all I can think through currently any questions suggestions would help a lot thanks.
JJ
BTW I was going to do something with coral propigation but this gets me two tanks. I have been meaning to set up a ten gallon planted.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is water movement accomplished? Just curious. Make sure to get the same exact pumps.

When Rob Toonen did a experiment similar to this, he covered up the bottoms of all the tanks with black tape so you couldn't tell which ones had plenums and which had a DSB. That way there is no "experimenter" error (expecting to see a certain result, and thus skewing the results). I believe he published his results on the imac website. I'll try and find the experiment specs for you.

reefann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot man.
Thats so cool you know Rob Toonen. I would love to go to the IMAC 2004, but I will just barley have my drivers licence and I doubt my parents would want me driving a few states away.
Does the way I will be adding ammonia sound like it will be ok? That was my main concern.
Covering the bottom will tape is a good idea, but with as little tanks as I am doing I would knwo anyway.
Thanks again
JJ

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're worried about the ammonia, you could pee in a cup and use that 8O . Just kidding. Make sure you dilute it in RO/DI water before adding to the tank. I haven't read Rob's paper yet so I don't know the specs of the experiment. Are you going to be using live sand? Tank water or freshly made water? Sounds like a great highschool experiment!

Arlan

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention, I don't know if you're able to get it, but I think ammonium chloride (NH4Cl .....? any chemists?) would be your best bet. Windex has all sorts of solvents, coloring agents, etc. It would be hard to make sure your test kits wouldn't go weird with all those other factors in there. I don't think you mentioned otherwise, but I think absolutely sterile substrate and water is the best way to go. Having no light is a good idea as well, it would only further complicate the processes you're looking at IMO.

reefann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Windex has all sorts of solvents, coloring agents, etc. It would be hard to make sure your test kits wouldn't go weird with all those other factors in there.
Yeah I was planning on using just straight ammonia for cleaning. I think you can get it pure from the grocery store.
Forgot to mention, I don't know if you're able to get it, but I think ammonium chloride (NH4Cl .....? any chemists?) would be your best bet.
Could I get this online, or would I have to find a local cemical supply?
If you're worried about the ammonia, you could pee in a cup and use that
I already thought about it, I hate the teacher so much and I would love to see the look on her face.
but I think absolutely sterile substrate and water is the best way to go
Thats what I planned to do
Thanks for the input guys
JJ

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: