• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Hey ya'll (*chortles*)

Who here thinks its possible to keep some sort of giant clam--lets say Crocea, for its overall eventual size--under three 13-Watt flourescents, one being actinic? Im talking a total gallonage of around 1-5 gallons... I could prbably fit another light above a 5 gallon; Im talking, of course, about the "galaxy" lights... The ones with the little "arms" and clips that hold them over the tank...

Yea, or Nay?

Next order of business: what does it take to get a MH over such a tank? I know that sounds hilarious and ludacris, but believe me; I will do just about anything for anything!
Anyone?

Thanks in advance ya'll (*chortles again*) for any help!

Meloco14

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know much about clams but I think crocea's are the most light demanding. So you may not be able to keep one without MH. If you don't get any good responses here, check out the forum at clamsdirect.com. They have some clam experts over there

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MH wouldn't necessarily be a benefit over a pico reef tank. Cooling is already hard enough, and proper arrangement of power compact 13w bulbs can yield the same intensity (to the corals) because the lighting is so close to them. Easier to fan/cool pc's than mh's. I have used tridacnids once in an aquascape setup and I don't recommend them, I for one probably won't try it again until new techniques arise.

The only way my conscience lets me set up pico reefs is under good faith my system will keep the corals alive indefinately. I rate tridacnids as one of the top three animals to be avoided in sub-gallon setups, with all predictability they will die within three months.

Brandon M.

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
people do use MH over the 5 gallon range, and that is just about right for keeping clams in a nano. They will still outgrow that, but the likelihood of success is much better provided your husbandry skills are sharp and you know what to look out for. MH can be kept over smaller tanks buy just suspending it higher (which also drops intensity) and/or fanning in between the bulb output and the tank area, where radiant heat follows a path to the water.

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm....

Nano cube, looking so tasty... :P

What about a Nano cube MH retro, with stupendous cooling? I mean, over 12 gallons, it should be perfect for keeping clams, right?

And, on a scale of 1-10, just how much harder would you guys say it is to maintain a nano, in terms of husbandry and other specific parameter skills plus the basic work and effort loads, over the more "orthodox" or "regular" setups?

Thanks again!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brandon, just out of curiosity, what are you other two top picks to avoid?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no way you could fit a MH in a nano cube hood, it's just too thick. I really don't think any PC that can fit in a nano cube would be strong enough to keep any clam...ok, maybe T. derasa or Hippopus. I'd go with at least a 65W bulb very close to the clam for all the others.

Newreefer1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most clams will grow to be too large for a Nano. Hopefully, you have a bigger tank to transport too once it gets too big.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
even those slender-looking double-ended bulbs...? They look pretty skinny to me...

so two 65-Watt PCs, one actinic, one 10000K, would be ok for a clam ~6-8 inches deep in a 29G, right?...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a T. derasa...get ready to move it into a bigger tank though, like Newreefer suggests.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a crocea? I heard they were fairly tolerant of moderate light, and they only get like 6 inches big or something...

Still though, anyone ever try fitting a slim double-ended bulb in over a 12 gallon nano-cube? I would think the dimensions wouldnt be as trying as is suspect... but thats just me...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is the distance between the bulb and the plastic. You'd melt it for sure.

Croceas are one of the most light demanding along with maximas.

pyrrhus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
save the clam and dont try it. at the smaller sizes clams require a lot of phyto to thrive, and it is nearly impossible to stabilize a 5g to the point that it will keep one alive regardless of light. do not attempt to keep a crocea under any less than MH. there is a critical mass that is need as far as light goes to keep a happy clam and 65w is not enough

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: