• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

DRBOB

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these what I think they are? If they are aiptasia, what now?

Attachments

• 021304 008.jpg
    021304 008.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 2,373
  • 021304 001r.jpg
    021304 001r.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 2,372
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its hard to tell becuz those arent the clearest pix however they do resemble aiptasia...if the are remove them immediately....there are several ways to rid them...1 is by hand..if you have a small amount of these guys then you can "pluck" em out. 2 is natural way, via peppermint shrimp however this can be hit or miss.. and 3 there are sever different home remedies used to rid these little bastards, none of which i know since ive never had an aiptasia problem however maybe posting this thread on the general discussion board and i'll guarantee you'll get some answers...

Ocyurus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They might well not be aiptasia but they at least look to me like a species that can cause trouble in the future. Waiting around to see what they do can often just make the problem much more annoying.

rrdodge1283

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look like apitaisa, smell like apitaisa, best way is Joes Juice!! Made a beliver of me! keep eye on them and they multiply quite rapidly and may reach epidemic proportions. While some are ok to much takes away from display. Ive tried everything, and had so much of them bastard's and Joes Juice worked WITH RESULTS

DRBOB

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. I removed them. Since they were on the end of a very thin piece of rock, I simply broke off the piece and disposed of them. I am keeping a close lookout for return.

DRBOB

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still trying to get the hang of posting pics on the forum....let's try this one

Attachments

• 021304 001r.jpg
    021304 001r.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 2,348

DRBOB

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope....still lose too much resolution when I make it a small enough file for the forum....back to the drawing board..

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
drbob if you have your own web space you can link to or post images of any size. RDO wisely limits the upload size, but that doesn't apply to images you host on your own servers, of course.

anemonelover

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LordNikon":2nc3f6t9 said:
if you have a small amount of these guys then you can "pluck" em out.

I would highly recommend not doing it this way if you get them in the future, which is practically a certainty. It there is even a single cell of these bastards on the surface it was on, it will grow back. Joe's Juice all the way!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like i said anemonelover...its a solution to the problem...its also a nano tank(i assume) which the individual has far more control IMO...people would disagree with using the L. Wurdermanni as a form of control too..all i did was suggest some ideas for dealing with the problem... :)

anemonelover

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LordNikon":1y9dz9hs said:
Like i said anemonelover...its a solution to the problem...its also a nano tank(i assume) which the individual has far more control IMO...people would disagree with using the L. Wurdermanni as a form of control too..all i did was suggest some ideas for dealing with the problem... :)

Yes, I agree. I was simply adding my opinion to your post. I'm surprised at the defensiveness.

I also have a nano, and while you have more control because the tank is smaller, they can still breed like mad just like any size tank. I'm fighting them right now, actually.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering the alleged effects of Joe's Juice on cleaner shrimp (and consequently all crustaceans, including amphipods and copepods that we work so hard to keep alive), I would be very reluctant to use it in a reef tank as well. The biological control of peppermint shrimp is very effective if you keep them in the tank as an ongoing control.

In any case, i don't think those were Aiptasia.

nanocat

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the second time I've seen reference to Joe's and shrimp? Where are the posts that detail this claim, or was it only a couple of posters who happened to lose inverts around the same time? I ask, because I've used quite a bit of Joe's in all three nanos and my cleaner, peppermint, snails, corraline and pods are all doing well? I had a friend who accidently dumped almost the whole bottle in her 60 and didn't have any problems afterwards.

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stumped. The tentacle extensions look a lot like aiptasia (I can see little nematocyst batteries inside the tentacle) but the unextended polyps look like anthelia. I say it is some kind of hitchhiker anemone.

JMO

BM

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
James W. I think also had a fine idea, when you dose liquid calcium to the tank just use an extended dropper to squirt the dose right into the aiptasia polyp. It will burn it, then I'd plug it with a dab of superglue for a week while the little ________ dies under it. I have tried this and it seems to work.

B

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: