• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I've got that urge again. I'm either going to find a way to trick out my nanocube some more or I'm going to make a new setup.

I got the nanocube so I could have a small, easy tank that didn't suck a lot of money (compared to a very large tank) and have a big footprint.

For a while, it worked great. But instead of satisfying my reefy desires, my successes with the nanocube only fueled the grassfires drinking gasoline. Here are my options, I'm going to pick one of them

• Further mods on the nanocube. Only possible mods would be a skimmer, an auto top off, some kind of kalk doser (wtf lol!) or perhaps something to the sumpy area to make it a proper fuge.

• 2.5g species aquarium - mantis shrimp, 1 chunk of LR, some shrooms. I started to set this up the other day but the green mantis shrimp are hard to find! (there are two species both from the gulf, neither sold reliably... if you got a link hook me up!)

• 5.5g "technical tank - mod the crap out of it like one of brandon's custom jobbies. Do my best to reduce evap, make a fuge/sump in the back/corner and try to grow some stonies.

• dual 10g Ultranano dream setup. I have two 10g aquariums that are on a stacking frame. It's almost as if someone intended the top one to be a display tank and the bottom one to be a sump/fuge. I've recently been reading articles on reefkeeping.co and melev's reef about designing the baffles etc for the sump in the bottom. I think it would be super hella cool to hangs some MH over the top tank, some PC over the fuge area of the bottom one and hook up all the filter equip on the bottom tank. I could also keep my mantis shrimp (if i ever get it!) in the fuge area of the sump! This option is the least desireable right now for two reasons:
-it's the most expensive
-the stand is wrought iron, everything on the bottom would be visible (all pumps filters etc)

Which do you think sounds most interesting or which would you choose?

A

Anonymous

I think I might have just decided on the 2.5g mantis tank.

Newreefer1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H-dog as you may or may not be aware I'm curing my live rock as we speak. I will soon be dipping my rocks ( live rock that is, for you perv's ) in a hypersaline solution. If they produce any mantis shrimps you can have. After I have played with him for a little while of course ( mantis that is, again for u perv's).

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correction, tazdevil; Mr. Sexually Insecure here needs help!

I say the 5.5G Technical Tank! TT! Like the car from Audi! Woot! Smizmar!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
then you can do a Aiptasia tank! then fireworms.. oh the possibilities :P :lol: :wink: :evil:

fishfanatic2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah..with all the difficulties of a reef, why not just set up a pest tank. A mantis, bristleworm, aiptasia, mojano tank with hair algae all around would actually look kinda cool in a nano. :wink:

hillbilly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hwarang, You should give Dale Barger a call at Gulf Coast Marine for a Mantis. He's a diver who sells aquacultured LR from the gulf and keys, I'm sure he sees them all the time.

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was my choice and your wallet, I'd go with the tricked out 10 setup. :)

A metal-halide spaced over a ten is one of my favorite setups, there is just no lighting upgrade needed after that. The bioload can be kept low, and coral can be packed in there as dense as you like. this site

www.aquaticeco.com

sells every type of lab supply needed for biological experimentation. How about trying a denitrator setup like they have on this site, or even pod farming in a specialized refugium... They sell the proper micron foods, larval cysts etc to grow everything from isochromis plankton to tiny mysid shrimp. You must turn your den into a lab Sir!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

WHAT IF.

What if I plumbed my 5.5g to have a 2.5g sump? And made a kickass little cabinet to hold both of them..

Thanks for the link, btw.

*bookkmarks*

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoah, dude! That site totall OWNS! As someone whose FW planted obsession rivals any SW fixation her ... I can safely say this is THE coolest thing since sliced bread:

item85.jpg

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need help.

tazdevil said that.

H-dog as you may or may not be aware I'm curing my live rock as we speak. I will soon be dipping my rocks ( live rock that is, for you perv's ) in a hypersaline solution. If they produce any mantis shrimps you can have. After I have played with him for a little while of course ( mantis that is, again for u perv's).

Newreefer said that.

Correction, tazdevil; Mr. Sexually Insecure here needs help!

I said that! The circle becomes whole; but alas, it is but a frail speck of interest in a meaningless time-drift! Just babbling here!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Neato! It kinda seems like a bit too much work for just a 17g though... Considering all you have to do is up some dimensions and you have a big reef setup! The organizations and schematic layouts are there; just the dimensions seem a bit discouraging for what seems to be so much work! Th principle is the same, right? Then why not put a "1" in front of that "17" and make it truly uber!
Hey, dont get me wrong; I LOVE nanos just as much as the next guy, but at what point does cause-effect-outcome seem to slap you in the face? I mean, I know a bigger tank is more expensive, and bigger equipment will run you higher, but in this country with our bloated economy, work and effort should never outweigh or eclipse the resources invested! In an ideal world, they would be equal; get your effort's worth, as well as your money's and long-term goal's worth.
Think about this; you can keep a couple fish in a 17g--if even that--or you can keep a couple schools of fish in an exponentially larger tank, using the same designs you already have! Not to mention the corals!!! Lets talk full-fledged diversity here!
...I dont know why Im trying to convince you to go bigger... Something just struck me about this whole deal that sceamed "make it bigger; make it GRAND!"... Probably wasting my breath! :roll:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: