• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

warloc4326

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering about adding a Tridacna Crocea.. what would the lighting and food requirements be? The tank size is 25 gal, I currently have 65watt actinic, 65watt 10k from PC's. I dose about 2 table spoons of phyto every other day.

Thom

reefann

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep in mind that crocea is one of the most light demanding clams out there. You may want to see how a Dersa or Squamosa fairs first.
Do I think that a crocea COULD be sastianed in the tank, yeah. Just keep that guy high if you go for it.
BTW if you are looking more into keeping clams under PC's check out MATT's tank here and Broklyn Johnny's tank over at www.nano-reef.com
HTH
JJ
BTW Dosing food is disputed but with less light I would go for more food. Also smaller clams, as far as I know, need more food.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's doable if you put it right at the top of the tank. A tank that big, I would just invest in a MH system so you can keep any tridacnid anywhere you want. I also second going for a derasa or squamosa first and if you observe shell growth after a couple months, then consider a maxima or crocea.

warloc4326

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have a green montipora that is in the tank now... it's pretty high, about 2" from the top of the water. the pom pom xenia in the tank though aren't all that happy even though they are high up, i think something is bothering them at the moment a little bit. and some of the arms crashed... but i've noticed new growth and it appears to be healthy growth, maybe it just didn't like the little tang all that much. oh yeah, to get back to the montipora. It wasn't doing well at all in the store, so i got it for about 15$ a 6" specimen which in my tank now is turning green again and the polyps are fully out. If i'm able to keep this do you think that the crocea would do well? Also from reading i've seen that the squamosa like a bit of a higher light as well?

Thom

P.S. i'll see about getting some pictures of the tank up soon, possibly my webcam will be up as well.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thom, Montipora can do well in some pretty substandard lighting, IME. Croceas require a bit higher lighting. Squamosa certainly "likes" more light, so do derasas, but they can do fine under lighting that wouldn't be enough for a crocea.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: