• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know of a good external pump I could use on a 29g that won't cause a hurricane inside the tank? I guess I'm looking for something that is quiet and has a lower gph rating (400gph or less). Any recommendations? I'm moving in a bit and am upgrading to a 29g. I figure this would be the perfect time to tweak my setup. I really don't like the look of powerheads all over the tank and would like to save some space by not having any in there. Thanks.

Arlan

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maxijets work. It's a bit tricky to waterproof them for external use, but doable. I can show you how. Mike had a closed loop on his 6 with a maxi. Also, it's a bit bigger, but a Mag 2 (250 gph) is meant to be run externally. The other mags would work too. I just happen to have a brand new mag 2 if you want it.

UnderGrad

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt,
Are you talking about the Maxijet Powerheads? I was under the assumption that powerheads needed to be run underwater so they don't burn up... at least that they'll last much longer if you run them underwater.
Thanks for the offer on the Mag 2. I just may have to give it a try. I should be in Davis next week if you want to try to meet up sometime.

Arlan

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, maxi powerheads. You just have to attach vinyl tubing to the intake strainer of the powerhead. It's an off size, so we wrapped a bunch of teflon tape around the intake strainer before pushing on the tubing. Then connect the tubing with standard plumbing through a drilled hole. It is of course imperative that the pump always be primed.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arlan, if you want to look at something that can do in/outside use , reliable and quiet look at the Eheim pumps. I think the 1060 is about 300gph. I have used them for years and for a small pump I feel they are hard to beat.

Robf

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a mag950 on my 29gal. It was a bit much for the overflow, so I had the tank drilled when I moved and order an internal overflow box. I also have 2 maxijet1200s and a maxijet 900 in the tank. THe pic below shows the tank after the move. I've since added 2 more powerheads, as I mentioned. The return is split between the 2 top bulkheads by a SCWD. I also have a bulkhead 2" from the bottom on the back glass in case I want to add a closed loop in the future.

I'm looking for a larger pump right now... I'm keeping all SPS, but I've got mucho flow on my softy nano too.

I'm actually running the mag submersed (I tried running it external, it was very loud). Maybe you could look into a small iwaki.

My next pump for the 29gal will be a Mak-4.

Sooooo.... Why are you looking for such a small pump? ;)

R.

Attachments

• dsc01541.jpg
    dsc01541.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 555

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: