• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Void

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to reefs.org, but I wanted to share my nano before it gets taken down

11 gallon Via Aqua
64W PC lighting (32 actinic, 32 10K)
rio 90 and a hang on filter (no carbon) for flow
about 15# LS and 22# LR (tonga and fiji)

Fish:
1 false perc (who is too quick for most of my pictures)
1 green clown goby (who has eluded most of my pictures)
1 rainfordi goby (loves to hover, tons of pics!)

Inverts:
several hermits... blues and scarlets
pom pom boxer crab
1 crown top snail
4ish margaritas
3ish ceriths
2 nerite snails
10 nassarius snails (sorry if i spelled that wrong)

Corals:
Yellow Devil's hand leather
toadstool leather (sarcophyton)
kenya tree leather
2 different varities of frogspawn (euphyillia paradivisia, and i've seen the other refered to as an octopus branch)
bubble coral
sun coral
peach briariums
2 brain corals (ones not doing so well after my frogspawn took a tumble onto it)
a plethra of various mushrooms
20+ varities of zoonathids- bali pinks, peaches, teal centered, green hooped, oranges, greens, yellows, purples... I can't list them all
yellow colony polyps
larger button polyps
blue ricordia

also several different types of macros algae as well as some hair algae that refuses to leave one particular spot

the orange blur is the clown :)
Picture%20018-small.JPG

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW! Quite a tank, probably the next nano spotlight for sure.

How long has your tank been running for? FWIW, your other frogspawn looking coral is Euphyllia cristata, commonly sold as "Grape Coral".

Void

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for both the compliment and the ID... I've been looking for that scientific name, and all anyone has ever given me are a few (wrong) common names

The tank has been up and running for over 8 months, but will be taken down within a month because I am upgrading to a new not-so-nano nano in the form of an Oceanic 37 (Happy birthday to me :D).

My 11g has a very large (thankfully not deep) scratch from a cat-induced rock tumble... and I have some corals sitting in a prop/holding tank that I'd like to move into my system but have absolutely no room for... Namely a very large green brain, a nice torch coral and lots more zoanthids/palythoas.

I still get to enjoy the nano for at least another month or so though, the new tank isn't in yet and it'll have to cycle for a while.

-Gin

Void

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's a pic I took at night of my sun coral and bubble coral... the sun coral is almost fully extended with a belly full of cyclop-eeze and the bubble coral is looking for leftovers.

Sorry about the reflection/wierd glare... still learning how to get good pictures of my tank.

Picture%20046-small.JPG

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt, I was thinking the same thing as his picture was slowly loading on my dial up even before I saw your post! I could tell by the color in the first half-line there was something crisp and clear here, then when it finished loading I knew we were set for the next focus. :)

Welcome Void, and if I must say a jump right into the Reefs.org nano spotlight on your first post is no run-of-the-mill reefing... this aquscape catches my eye because of the color and vitality of the corals. There are as many aquascape preferences as there are car preferences, so to each his own. I personally like the eclectic look-- bright colors, tight spacing etc. Some prefer a selective biotope carefully selecting species that have geographical restrictions. Either way, this combination of picture quality and overall nano design will make you stop with a double-take. Void, enjoy your week or so on top!

Void

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much! You guys really know how to make the new *ahem*... girl ;) welcome... my username isn't very gender-specific I know; but just FYI Gin is short for Virginia.

I actually went through 3 or 4 different rock setups (and tumbles) before finally going with the current design... I wanted to maximize surface area with outcroppings/ledges and have enough "holes" to wedge things like the euphyllia and some of the poylps.
Since I've taken those pictures, I've also added a few more zoanthids, purple bullseye mushroom, a gorgonian, and moved some GSP into the holding tank. Theres also several things that have fallen (thanx hermits) behind the rock work, including my favorite sky blue zoos... I hope they are surviving well!

I'm always happy to supply more pics, if anyone wants a picture of something... I'm still waiting to get a good shot of my green clown goby and pom pom boxer crab

-Gin

semigodd154

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
VERY nice gin good looking viaaqua I just set one of these up for my old boss he runs an lfs now he has me setting up a tank for him lol BTW is this the tank with the free standing lights or the enclosed hood the ones with the hood looks a little cheesy to me but regardless this tank is tight enjoy the spotlight i did.

Void

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heres a picture of the tank that shows the light (once i started adding corals I added a 32W JBJ refugium light to bring me up to 64W total)

smalltank.jpg

Bleeding Blue

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bestill my beating heart. That is a beautiful tank you got there. Why are you going to take it down? (Maybe I just misread your original post, but I thought you said you were going to be taking it down.) Also, what is your maintence schedule like?

M

Void

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is movin into a new home (Oceanic 37).. so I'll still enjoy it, but it won't be a nano anymore.

To "retrofit" the light all i did was slide the original light forward a little and set the refug. light behind it.. i was going to make it more secure but I wanted to be able to do water changes easily... plus i gotta get my hands in there every day to feed the sun coral so I wanted easy access...

which brings me to maintenence :)

every monday I dose the tank with iodine, calcium, strontium, and essential elements.

Glass gets cleaned once, sometimes twice, a day. Especially before I take any pictures.

Every day I top off the tank with fresh RO/DI water (I loose a good amount to evaporation).

Every week I do a small water change (again with RO/DI) this time with salt water.

Every day I target feed the sun coral and poylps cyclop-eeze which they LOVE... I used to have an eel in the tank (baby snowflake), and instead of cyclop-eeze, i would use the juice from his shrimp. I also squirt some more food for the filter feeders on an almost regular basis.

The rainfordi goby grazes on algae, nibbles live rock and loves pods... so he doesnt really need to be feed anything else. He does enjoy some cyclop-eeze every now and then.

Green clown goby eats a little bit of everything, and spits most of it out. I'm still not sure what hes really eating and what hes rejecting, all I know is he likes cyclop-eeze and mysid shrimp.

Clown gets fed a flake food... I believe its Formula 2 or something, has 2% garlic in it to fight off any infections like ich. The clown actually belongs to my boyfriend (his 55g tank is set up next to mine) but the clown needed a new home so I adopted him.

Tested the tank 2 days ago and all the levels were ideal, except for amm. which was a little above 0, but that should be better now.

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard enough good about cyclopeeze that I would consider ordering some from an internet source. I hear it supports color nicely, in both fish and corals.

DEADFISH1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried some Cyclopeeze last night for the first time.
my corals went crazy for the stuff.
I just added a thimble size and that was plenty, the 12 bucks I spent will go a long way. :D

I'm sold.

The fish store guy said that their having good luck feeding it to Mandarins, has any one had such luck?
This is probably on another thread, right? 8)

DEADFISH1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to add:
That is an excellent tank Void, just seeing yours makes me want to start up another Nano.
Just like your doing, I moved the one I had into my 58 gal.
Keeping 2 reefs and 2 babies’ at that time was getting a little crazy. :D

warloc4326

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will let you all know how the mandarin's like the cyclop eze. So far my 10 month old green likes to hover picking up things off the rock and sometimes from the sand. Most of the day she sits hiding from the light though, but then again i just added a new light system and 2x65 watt bulbs... one actinic and one 10k. I have successfully kept the mandarin in my tank feeding her brine and flake. Also copepods.

Thom

Void

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've had a lot of success with cyclop-eeze, but i do not have a mandarin... i have heard from friends though, that they usually take to it quite well... also really good for seahorses

wish you the best of luck with it!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: